eBay stuff (Part 1)

Saw that and was tempted. Couldn’t bear the insult of having VAT knocked off the trade in price of my turntable though :man_facepalming:

Sell privately, fam.

This any good? Need to upgrade my cable without spending a fortune…Look at this on eBay:

Ecosse MS2.2 Speaker Cable 2 x 5.5m (Terminated) banana plug to banana plug

Why do you need to upgrade? What are you expecting to improve with new cables?

1 Like

I have looked at the MAX photo and wondered what Cartridge they had mounted because at first glance it looks like a Fuuga. There is also one for sale in Audiomarkt.

I have two odd cables at the mo, as I gave a decent set away with my last speakers. Just want something half decent

Maplins will have summat.

2 Likes

Do you mean a different cable for each speaker? Or are you bi-wiring?

Mark grant. Van dame blue.

I have two different cables that were lying around in the loft, I’m not a proper audiophile👍

Van Damme Blue Series Studio 2x 2.5mm Twin Axial Speaker Cable is all you need .Mrs_Maureen_OPinion will make you up a terminated pair if you ask nicely.

2 Likes

Ecosse is meant to be good. You get good value for money with that brand. A lot of their cables use ohno continuos cast copper which is highly rated (Not by JB).

i was outbid, so will keep looking.

Struggle to get interested in cables but know I need to sort. It’s like being in the supermarket having to pick up milk and bread, and getting distracted by the equivalent of the meat counter - now reading about Nelson Pass amps.

Just have a word with Maureen; he’ll sort you out with some sensible wire and won’t rip you off (too badly) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks, will PM said fella.
on a slightly more complicated note, looking for someone to build a First Watt F6 (or 2), recommendations appreciated.

Nice, quite keen on trying out one of those myself. With the right speakers I think they sound magic.

now have Spendor S8e which are rated at 89db/8 Ohm so frees up amp options. Always enjoyed what I’ve heard of others, but will save the soldering for someone with the patience and skills!
Although have just spotted a Leben 600 for sale, button sure it would be the greatest match. Looks lovely though, as you know!

What made you buy the Spendors?

Demoed quite a few speakers over the last month, seem to be doing a tour of the central London dealers at one point (of coarse in between important work commitments). Underwhelmed by most (given price), and disturbed by quite a few (too harsh/bright), the most enjoyable speakers I heard were the larger Spendor classic range and D7.
D7 were great, had the full range as opposed to the A6r, but still the treble was just a little too hot for me.

Found the s8e for sale reasonably local (Cheltenham) so thought I’d go along for a listen. Couple with Croft 4 power/Icon Audio LA4 pre they hit the spot. Perfect vocals, realistic highs/cymbals etc, the body in the midrange I enjoyed with Rogers Studio 1, but with a more accurate bass. The guys room was huge, but this was the first time I had heard something I could imagine listening to for hours on end.

Being obsessive, I even modelled my room to see how they might position, and if they might be too big, sad I know but it actually helped being able to compare to the footprint of previous speakers. Ideally would have liked to try in my room before buying, but this was the best I could do. Happy to do this for anyone if needed.

So, after 24 hours, very happy so far, even the wife admits that we have ‘that’ sound back in the room.

you did ask:smirk:

Need an amp with plenty of grip then to get those moving. Would go SS amp and valve preamp.

1 Like