eBay stuff (Part 1)

Luxman PD-284 t/t €458.00 Audiomarkt

Shame it’s shite then.

2 Likes

Meh…

1 Like

Worth having just to look at but not at £400.

Not at £100

Go to AN UK and see if they have any ‘ex-demo’ ones ‘new’ at the same price :laughing:

3 Likes

Would these Pass monoblocks be up to driving your speakers?

They look great, but it’s a lot to pay for DIY

Note that there are no full internal images. Also the ‘balanced’ is not balanced, but just another socket.

But there is a picture of a cat and there’s

no brum and no crackles

Price is mad. 8-900 in parts to build.

It’s a single ended amplifier, so it’s not a fully balanced design all the way though, but it’s a balanced input in that it’s properly utilised.

Not sure I get this obsession with fully balanced circuitry all the way through to the speakers, rejecting common mode stuff at the input seems much more sensible.

In a system made up of two independent amps (signal+ and signal-) it can be difficult to preserve accurate balance too.

VB

I do get that on a standard push pull amp, which the aleph isn’t anyway, it could in theory be simpler to skip the phase splitter and just use the balanced input, but I’m still not all that convinced of the advantages of that.

Good marketing speak I suppose.

Would need to budget for new transistors as well as the originals have evaporated. These must get bloody hot!

did see that, I’m pretty loathed to trust DIY amps that I don’t know the origin of, don’t have the tech knowledge to fix or recognise a duffer.

Ian has kindly offered to loan his Aleph’s to see if they work before I take the plunge. looking forward to taking a listen, thought the Aleph 3 was great, so fingers crossed

For me, not understanding the circuits well enough, it boils down to the need to drive long lengths of signal cable - and that’s 10’s of metres - so only really makes sense for pro gear.

I use XLR because the cables look good-er.

For every system I’ve heard which has a “fully balanced” something, there has usually always been a single ended source, so whatever.

EDIT: I’m knackered from lack of sleep, I dunno what point I was trying to make with the last sentence, I might revisit the thread in a few months.

It’s not the inputs/outputs I have an issue with, it’s the idea that if it has a balanced input the whole piece of equipment be it a pre or power amp should be fully balanced from input to output or “it’s just another input”

You still get the noise rejection and higher voltage so all the real advantages of balanced anyway.

1 Like