First car choices - ideas?

We did see a smart looking 9-3 convertible for £1500 and looked at insurance for a laugh - it was about twice the cost of the car, and she’s 23!!

Honda Jazz is a great smallish car.

If you’re fucking 90 years old :joy:

3 Likes

If you are 82

Too slow :laughing:

Potential Jazz owner :laughing:

2 Likes

Should give it a low insurance category.

Everyone under 40 would rather walk than drive a Jazz

Under fucking 70 more like.

The Fiat Panda is a much better car than the 500 and a lot less money
:panda_face:

My first car in 2006 was a 2000 1.8 Ford Focus. I actually took my test in it and I often wonder, had I not been bitten by the bug of snobbery and felt the need to upgrade to a BMW (big mistake) if we’d still have it.

Was a good drive, quick enough not to be dangerous on busy junctions and it was practical as any other hatchback, too.

Insurance was a bit high, but I got my one for £1200 with around 100k miles on it, so 1500 for the first year didn’t feel “too” bad. Road tax was a bit more reasonable back then, though. Might make a difference to her, I guess.

I’d recommend a focus over a Fiesta any day simply because the boot is so much better, I’d wager that to drive, a current focus/current fiesta are very similar.

Test driving a Golf 1.4, Focus 1.4, Audi A2 and (if time allows) a Toyota Yaris 1.3 tomorrow morning.

Never mind Kate, I’m actually getting quite excited about this :crazy_face:

Jazz is dead roomy and drives better than you think. Engine is revvy though, which a lot of younger drivers can’t cope with after driving diesels. Goes well if you are prepared to rev the nuts off it, and a tidy handler. OAP image mostly due to it being reliable and long-lasting, but not really deserved.

To a young person the rest is irrelevant.

(I have driven several Jazzs they are good cars, honda have them as service loaners and my MIL has one. I don’t like the cvt)

The one litre turbo is better - quicker, smoother and more frugal. :+1:

1 Like

Ive not looked, but i doubt very much they’re old enough to be in the under £2k price range.

For £2k most cars are going to be a bit shit. Find one that is cheap to insure and has been well looked after. And then cross your fingers.

1 Like

Steer well clear of (petrol) Peugeot 207s, 308s and Minis (particularly post 2007).
They all share the same engine and it’s the most horrific piece of crap ever!

1 Like

What’s the C1 like it your opinion as a run around, Donna’s eying them up, it’d be an older one.

My brother has one, about 5 years old. It has been very reliable, and OK to drive. Biggest drawback is the tiny boot.

2 Likes