Diet and Fitness

I entirely agree with that Guy. I’ve only attempted this because I’ve got about a years foundation of reasonably intense workouts as a foundation otherwise I would not recommend it whatsoever.

The other reason for doing it is I fancied a challenge and it’s relatively short being a six week program. It’s quite unlike my normal training in terms of the sheer volume. The benefit should be a jolt to the metabolism and a legacy of then dropping reps and feeling that you can push more weight in the next program cycle.

As I think I said above, the stress of GVT means you would only ever do this once a year and maybe twice if you’re a complete and utter masochist. I’ve been shocked how hard it is and it really pushes your willpower to the edge on legs day - the other two sessions are much easier especially shoulders and arms day due to the relative size of them not taxing your CNS and cardio- vascular systems quite as much.

And after tonight that’s week 2 done and 4 weeks to go…

Easiest of the 3 weekly workouts last night - shoulders and arms.

• Overhead DB press - 10 sets, half at 10 reps, half at 8 reps
  • Barbell curls - 3 sets of 10 reps
  • Dips - 3 sets of 7 reps , full range and strict form
  • Hammer curls 3 sets of 10 reps
  • Overhead pulley extensions - 3 sets of 10 reps

Followed by a brisk 3 mile walk to try to loosen up my aching thighs.

Pain/ soreness free today! Feel full of beans today so the dogs are gonna get a damn good walking.

On Saturday we got a dog, she is just over 8 weeks old, I’ve lost pounds chasing her around, and her me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Walking is the single best exercise going. Low impact, aligns the back and hips, burns calories at a steady rate and is easily repeated.

With a dog or two is the best way to take a walk.

Chest and back day. Usual 10 sets of 10 reps nonsense plus some gym ring exercises just to throw some extra pain into the mix - ring press ups and lying ring pulls.

Rings absolutely smashed my chest the other day - hurt for days.

Last night was 10 sets of squats again - but lower back really tightened up and so had to switch to leg press machine (very very poor substitute) for the last 5 sets. Difficulty walking after that lot so spent 20 mins on the treadmill trying to walk it off before attempting to walk out of the gym (otherwise I would have fallen down the stairs on the way out).

Very little DOMS today which probably means a bucket full tomorrow…

Weight up a kilo to 86.2 (smack on 13st) - haven’t had my bf scanned so it could be muscle or it could be fat :scream:

We’re the same you and me :+1:

That’s pretty close to how much weight I need to lose!

1 Like

Damn. Are you a little man trapped in a bigger body?

Week 4 starts here - haven’t given up yet!

1 Like

Started later this week so some catching up to do.

Today chest and back.

10 sets x 10 DB bench press
Followed by 2 sets of heavier DB’s because I was feeling strong.

No rows because my elbow is playing up so instead 3 super sets of -

• chin ups x6
  • ring press ups x6
  • lying ring pull ups x6

Then 2 sets of resistance band arm crossovers followed by a set of press ups with resistance bands across the back.

Fair to say I can feel my chest a bit!

Off for a brisk walk with dogs.

Shoulders and arms got done Friday. DB overhead press, curls and overhead extensions.

Squats today, lots of them. 10 sets of 10 reps. Walking like a cowboy right now.

Only 2 more weeks to go.

1 Like

Week 5 of 6 starts here - chest and back.

Dumbell press 10 sets of 10 reps
Barbell row 10 sets of 10 reps
Dumbell pullovers 3 sets of 10 reps
Pulldowns 3 sets of 10 reps

That’s gonna hurt in the morning.

1 Like

Right…time to lose the kummerspeck and try to get some speed back.

Just don’t have the energy to focus on structured training at the moment.

Legs and abs day, so -

DB squats - 10 sets of 10 reps
Deadlifts - 3 sets of 10 reps

Then onto some old gymnastic staples for core strength -

L- sits - 5 sets of 15 seconds
Tuck levers into front levers - 3 sets of 10 seconds
Frog tuck - 5 sets of 20 seconds

Does pulling my calf muscle playing badminton today count? :cold_sweat:

Badminton :scream::joy:

Sounds like you were not properly warmed up though. Calves are tough things though and recover quickly unless you’ve torn one (which I have in the past) in which case it takes months to heal without steroids.

You’ll live I reckon!

I’ve encountered a few people (3) recently, all in their 50’s who’ve snapped their achilles tendon playing badminton. Too dangerous for me!