Diet and Fitness

Dominoes (5 and 3’s) and crib are good games this time of year.

Outdoor wise my puppy is keeping me going. Average of 4 miles a day.

Tendons are like taffy - and don’t stretch until warm. 50 year olds who insist on playing badminton and squash without warming up at length are taking a heck of a gamble with all that reaching and short bursts of acceleration :scream:

I used to do some coaching of sprinters for the local running club about ten years ago, and they all thought my warm up was over the top when I was demonstrating different techniques over the first 10m. It was only the kids who didn’t properly mobilise or did lazy static stretches who pulled up. If they didn’t listen to that advice it was a sign they weren’t there to improve and inevitably were overtaken despite their initial talent.

Walking - most underrated and effective exercise going :thumbsup:

2 Likes

I agree, but even that can aggravate old injuries. I went to see the musculo-skeletal expert in the local NHS Podiatry Dept last week after one of the ‘ordinary’ podiatrists thought he might be able to help with my funny gait. After quite a lot of walking up and down, measuring and (him) twisting and bending my feet and ankles he reckoned that most of the problems were caused by a 15-year old avulsion fracture in my left ankle being set off again by the walking I did last year. He still wants me to carry on doing it though.

VB

“Not working” is doing pretty well for me.

Since I kicked off the new “not working” regime I’m doing a lot more exercise (according to the Fitbit) and have lost 5 lbs.

3 Likes

Cheaper than most gym memberships as well.

Nice one re the weight loss.

The trick is to make different choices so you can make the time to do the same once you’re back in the working week.

No, unfortunately it went after 45 mins of competitive play…

Sudden change of direction did it… Anyway it’s not feeling too bad this morning… :+1:

That’s the danger of sports that involve jerking movements…

Fitbit reckons I have climbed 104 flights of stairs today.

No, I just walked up to the Beacon and back.

So German Volume Training cycle of 6 weeks done and dusted. Not too sure what it’s done for me physically but mentally it’s made me tougher to face more volume per workout than I’ve ever done before. It’s also shown me that I can do higher volume work and recover so that’s now a new strand to workouts that I can use.

Struggling with a bit of tennis elbow in my left arm but hopefully the inflammation will go down soon.

Next workout cycle might be something simple like full body 3 days per week supplemented by low impact work and continued practice at gymnastic isometrics like levers and ring pull/ presses - working on being able to ‘transition’ on the rings - something I haven’t done for about 20 years.

1 Like

Damnit. Now I need to diet again…

Conflab with my sports physio last night - we agreed I should do a cycle of high reps and mobility work to get some additional joint strength and flexibility before doing any more significant weight work.

She thinks my tennis/golfers elbow in my left arm is derived from tight impinged shoulders. She then pulverised my back with her own elbows just so I would get my money’s worth :neutral_face:

Could’ve been worse, she could’ve used your elbows.

2 Likes

Everything feels better today :slightly_smiling_face: Elbow inflammation going down and back feels nice and supple.

1 Like

Signed up for 10000 steps a day challenge this month.

My job is desk bound so this will be a real challenge for me.

3 Likes

Great challenge. Do you have a dog?

Excellent thing to do. I’m pretty well up there having the two dogs and fell walking in the Lakes.

I need to be better about getting up from the desk for a brief walk once an hour or so. Easy not to do though. Hitting 10000 steps is tough

I go from meeting to meeting so the only opportunity to make 10k steps I get in the week is either first thing and take the dog out for a speed march, or late evening when I’m home or at the hotel. Planning ahead and making choices are key I find.