Diet and Fitness

Second high rep workout and shoulder rehab. 2 sets of 20 reps for each exercise - no training to failure either.

Full body workouts so -
Squats, DB rows, DB bench press, band rows and presses, DB military press, DB curls and overhead extensions.

Shoulder rehab includes TWAY isometrics, band pull aparts and banded shoulder ‘dislocations’. Definitely getting a bit more mobility in LH shoulder and pain in forearm and elbow is going down consistently.

No dog. I will have to get out for a quick walk before going to work and another in the evening. Doesn’t help that our office is out of town and very difficult to walk anywhere at lunchtime.

Easy enough today as went for a good walk round local country lanes. I bought a cheap clip on pedometer and somehow lost it at the football today. Ordered a fitbit for tomorrow.

Daughter downloaded an app for my phone to keep me going. Weird thing it has records of my steps for the last few weeks.

Strap the Fitbit to the dog. It’ll be a piece of cake.

No dog. Thinking of getting a hamster :smiley:

Just be sure that there’s a wheel for him. :+1:

The accuracy of these can be pretty iffy BBC Two - Trust Me, I'm a Doctor, Series 5, Episode 1 - How accurate are fitness monitoring gadgets and step counters?. I’m told they’re good from a motivational point-of-view though (Mrs VB really likes her step counter). When I get out for a walk I use a GPS just to tell me how far I’ve gone. It seems that the calories we burn depend most strongly on simple distance covered (of course the faster you go the more distance you can cover if you’re time-limited).

VB

I attempted to go on the club ride yesterday and couldn’t keep up :frowning: Hit a new maximum heart rate…

My throat is sore again today, so I clearly wasn’t over the cold I had end of last week…but still slightly depressing.

Take it easy.

I have a cold coming on, probably due to walking in the rain on New Year’s Day… Doh

Oh dear. Where can I buy the one which adds on 30% :smile:

Just something I came across:

For various reasons I got into a bit of a negative spiral over the last couple of months, and I’ve put on probably a stone or a bit more (!) and lost a good deal of fitness. Although, my wife pointed out today that being able to do 60/70 hilly miles on a singlespeed bike isn’t exactly unfit, even if I was annoyed at not being able to keep up with the club ride :stuck_out_tongue:

Will be watching my diet to lose body fat (and weight hopefully). Oats for breakfast, soup and a yoghurt for lunch, veg for snacks and stir fry for dinner will be the core diet. I found soup was good for being filling whilst keeping calories low (and veg high!). Food weighed, within reason (e.g. veg estimated). With the amount of oil and meat I use for stir fries all that should come in at approx 1500-1700 calories a day, and >80g protein plus a decent variety of fruit and veg.

I tried something new for breakfast this morning, that I’d read about as a way to make porridge more filling. Porridge with an egg mixed in. One egg, beaten, 40g oats, 300ml whole milk, a banana chopped up and 10g of raisins. 5 mins in microwave, stirred half way through. Was very nice!

Tried a new soup today which I think will work well. I try to eat tinned sardines regularly, so I made a kind of mock/bastardised bouillabaisse that’s probably incredibly offensive to anyone French (or anyone that’s actually eaten bouillabaisse before. Roasted red peppers, fennel and tomatoes (and sweet potatoes (!)) with thyme and chilli and 4 bulbs of garlic. Sautéed celery, red onion and chilli the added a bunch of tarragon, bay leaves white wine, fish sauce (!) and saffron and simmered. Added lemon juice and parsley, olive oil and butter and blended the whole lot. With a tin of sardines stirred in it should come to ~400-500 calories.

Thinking of walking to and from work on Wed and Fri, it’s 5 miles each way so should be >2 hours of gentle aerobic volume and a rest from cycling on 2 days. Other than that will just do my basic commute by bike and try to do my physio exercises 2-3 days- working on core and flutes mainly and complimentary to cycling. Also, flexibility - stretches / spikey ball, foam roller etc… Introduce push ups and kettlebell swings and gradually introduce slightly longer cycles home or some easy/moderate 1-2 hour turbo sessions. I’ll try to take 5 mins to do a couple of hundred steps each hour (there’s a wee circuit at work that involves up and down a flight of stairs). Don’t know if it’s bullshit that that’s better for metabolism but not a bad thing regardless I figure. That’s the plan anyway… any suggestions welcomed :thumbsup:

Sounds good to me, but I don’t think @htm_1968 will be impressed with the work on flutes :nerd_face::joy::scream:

Huh?

I know it is dry January, but at least you might change the bong water once in a while. Otherwise you’ll just confuse us…

1 Like

In your own words…

Hahah I was rereading that trying to find the presumed typo and couldn’t

Glutes

Using 20/30 mins of my lunch hour to go for a walk outside might be a good habit to get into as well thinking about it

I think I’ll do this

Did the 5x 20 counter pushups this morning. The last 2 (99 and 100) were hard :stuck_out_tongue: But I think rather than skipping to the next phase I’ll do progressively lower inclines for a few days before going to the knee push ups.

Keep your elbows in close to your body and don’t let them flare out. Your shoulders especially will thank you for it.

Another full body 20 rep per set workout. Inched the weight up and pushed a bit harder without having to reach failure (this is important for the longer term).

More shoulder rehab work which is also going to pay dividends later when the weight goes up and the reps come down.