Football

Tom Daley would have won a medal with that.

If you get two hands on your back in the penalty area, you would go down too, yes?

It’s Lovren you should be aiming your anger at, he’s a fucking idiot for doing it.

1 Like

Klopp out.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Well deserved win for City today, better in all departments. Was interesting to see their niggly foul to stop the counter attack strategy in action too.

Four 2-1s in a row

No, I think this is where football is so wrong and turning itself into basketball. It should be the judgement of the referee (very variable to say the least), does the contact make the player go down? Look at rugby and see what it takes to put a man off his feet if he is trying to stay on his feet. Football rewards players for being weak to gain an advantage. I would love to see some of these footballers dropped into one of the Lions v All Blacks tests, they would run off shitting their pants!!!

It’s a completely different sport. Your analogy doesn’t work for me.

Lovren pushed him in the back. EVERY Liverpool player in the same situation would have gone down. You may not like it, I don’t, but it’s where the game is.

It is, in every case

1 Like

Is it where it should be though? Is this what the game should aspire to?

Personally I think that the game runs too quickly for one referee to be able to be reasonably able to spot everything, and it has worsened as players have (not unreasonably) manipulated this. I think that things need to change.

1 Like

How do you change it?

I’ll be interested in your suggestions

FIFA won’t though

I can remember old gits moaning how the game had gone soft in the early seventies :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This is a serious problem!

I think that a multiple referee, flag-based system like American Football works well. One main referee, with several useful assistants. But, as you say, it won’t happen.

The usual thinking is that you don’t want to pause the game. However, I see no reason why there couldn’t be some pauses introduced. The game can change; rugby has allowed such changes and has seriously benefited.

I am quite happy. Will watch the highlights on the telly later.

Video referrals will be the only change I see in the foreseeable future. That wouldn’t have changed today’s penalty decision though and that’s what started this discussion

By Christ, Everton were shit. Pickford must have kicked the ball directly into touch 7 or 8 times today.

And what’s worse was we let them back into the game.

Not Mane’s best game today. I’m surprised he played the whole match. We had a golden chance to make it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time and he chose the wrong option.

1 Like

There was a moment on MoTD where some players on the bench were passing around a hot water bottle & Jonathan Pierce was wondering what Chopper Harris or Billy Bonds would have made of it. Struck me as irrelevant. Today’s players are athletes & are generally ready to go at 100% as soon as they are brought on. I’m not sure you can make the comparison with players from the 70’s.

2 Likes

Indeed, thy would be slaughtered by the fitness of today’s players.

It was better to watch then though IMO

1 Like

It was very different, the pitches being much more significant during the winter months.

1 Like

I agree, my point was that you hear the same crap from JP et al and you always have.

1 Like

Baseball ground, Nov - Mar was virtually unplayable.

1 Like

Haven’t seen that particular incident and my point was more general. Ex players say if there is contact they are within their rights to go down which is shit. If the contact doesn’t make you go down you don’t go down. Players are encouraged to go down by managers at the slightest contact and it just looks pathetic! It’s supposed to be a contact sport not basketball! Other sports get lambasted for drug offences (and quite rightly) but the cheating in football is so open and condoned in my opinion and the game is becoming a parody of itself.

1 Like