Fuck computer audio

Plugging the sound card’s output into a £6 car audio RCA ground loop isolator sovled that problem for me. I was going to give up and get a Dac, but it is transparent and have lived with it for the last 4ish yrs. That must be rock bottom audiophile credibility.

1 Like

Looks like Nordost foo :joy:

1 Like

Car audio, card audio … the difference is so small you can see how it might work.

VB

1 Like

The old standard for USB2 was 4.3M. I use a 6M one with no issues (no it’s not a foo one).

USB3 is apparently 3M.

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

Why not? C’mon Bob you have a reputation to maintain! :stuck_out_tongue:

I do own a 1M foo USB2 cable I got with a DAC some time ago, I don’t use it as it’s too short.Not tried a listening session to £5 Amazon Vs Foo USB2 cables.

Yep, you would expect it to work.

I had similar problems with a guitar effects processor which resolutely refused to work with the 5 meter cable I bought with it. The slightly shorter cable supplied by the manufacturer with the unit worked just fine.

Your link says 5 meters for USB2.0. No matter tho’.

That qualifies as DIY as far as I’m concerned, so gets my utmost respect. I believe I would probably electrocute myself or a neighbour, or maybe open an interdimensional wormhole vortex if I tried anything as complex as that.

It’s 4.3M, the info they have there is ‘approximate’ for that. The standard is 4.3M but 5M will work is basically how I read it. in order to deliver the maximum bandwidth, then 4.3M is the maximum length, but 5M will work at slightly lower bandwidth (hi-fi is piddlingly small bandwidth).

For those with more USB style questions.

http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq#cab1

I once used a 7 m one from laptop to squeezebox,sadly it was to long for the music to get out the other end,if you you put your ear close to the cable,you can still hear dire straits playeing money for nothing

3 Likes

You and me, we are the same…

:disappointed:

So Tidal was still stuttering, despite this being a newer laptop that can definitely cope. Quick dig into what is happening, and it seems that Windows Update is taking up 70% of CPU despite not actually updating. Fuck off, Microsoft. All the fucking way. Then fuck off further.

1 Like

I’ve had this on past PC’s. It does help to turn auto updates off.

I’m no expert,but it sounds like your cam belt’s fucked.

9 Likes

You can’t in Win 10. It doesn’t have the same option to do manual updates when you like that 8 and earlier had.

You can disable it within computer administration, but then it will never update anything until you turn it back on. Still, that’s what I’ve done.

I believe you can’t even do that in the cheapie Home version. They simply take over your computer when they feel like it. It’s a complete arse if you need to switch it off say, for example, because you need to pack it for a journey (“Oh, you mean you sometimes use your laptop on, er, your lap - sorry, we never thought of that”).

VB

Set your internet connection to be a metered connection and it won’t download any updates.

I have a hard-wired ethernet connection to this (desktop) machine and I don’t have the Creators update (I think). So this means that the only way I can set my connection to ‘metered’ is by a registry edit. I’m not very happy with that, particularly given that I’m not trying to eliminate updates completely. I just want to download and implement them when it suits me, not when it suits Microsoft.

VB

Ironically, the October Creators update will let you do that, I think :smiley:

1 Like