Fuck computer audio

Ah, Gotcha. I’ll look it up sounds interesting.

Now that’s a good question

Presumably depends on the crossover frequency. 3kHz is really right at the top of any instrument’s fundamentals so standard two ways shouldn’t have an issue, the tweeter is pretty much for harmonics.

Tannoy DCs, however, can properly mess up transitions from horns to trumpets…

That’s what I’m going to test. In rePhase, I just selected Linkwitz-Riley and it defaulted to 8th order. I shrugged and went with it. I’ll probably try 4th next, although I might try a brick wall as well.

I guess the issue is whether the character of the sound of an instrument changes as it moves from one driver to another. I’m not sure it will that much, as the harmonics will all be from the midrange either way, but it’s worth bearing in mind.

There are tons of options in rePhase, so I’ll be experimenting over time. Fortunately once they are set up properly it’s very quick to swap from one to another using zones in JRiver.

Was having a few issues with stuttering. Looked at buying a new laptop (you can get a pretty mean machine for £200-odd off eBay, reconditioned Win10 laptop, i7, SSD…), but then decided to play with settings.

Turns out that convolution on six channels at 192kHz sampling rate uses about 60% of my computer’s CPU, in addition to the (small) amounts used by JRiver and Tidal. Starting up Chrome or doing anything else would cause a stutter. Taking the convolution back to 44.1kHz means that even this laptop (Celeron N2840, 2.16GHz) runs at 25%, so there’s plenty of headroom.

JRiver has the facility to choose the convolver file according to the sample rate. I think I’ll just use 44.1kHz and 96kHz, and have it resample any other rates.

Siemens.

This works really well - you just have the config files on the same directory with a naming convention, and it’ll use the appropriate one for the source file. Nice feature.

Currently using LR 4th order, which seems to sound more natural while retaining the amazing levels of detail I’m rather enjoying :heart_eyes:

Well golly, getting a new PC was easy. Who knew?

Installed the drivers for the sound card, installed JRiver and Tidal, restored the settings from JRiver, copied the rePhase files over. The only issue was regarding the JRiver WDM driver, which thought it was installed but Windows disagreed. Remove and reinstall, and it all works.

Under an hour. Cool.

2 Likes