General election 8th June

You or I may not agree with the results but, generally, the voting balance is fair. Compulsory voting has forced the public to be more aware of politics, thus has created a more knowledgeable vote. Other factors, such as bigotry or fear-mongering, may distort the vote one way or t’other, but it is a clearer representation of the general public’s views. Right or wrong.
This is slightly distorted by Proportional Representation. This doesn’t give the instant gratification of FPtP.

There was a slight baiting of the hook in that last comment…

1 Like

Only slight ? It’s OK. Occasionally I like a bit of fishing myself.

I don’t vote in Oz as I don’t live there but my overall belief, re: the process, is unwavering. I think the UK could gain a better voter representation by introducing it. The two PR and CV work well together and are certainly not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

The Scottish local elections will be a good marker. Ideally I’d like to find some odds before then. I think a good many Scots will want to send a message to Sturgeon to shut the stuff up about another independence referendum and could return more than one Scottish Tory MP on June 8.

You may be right but I don’t think the Tories will benefit - maybe the Lib Dems. There is a lot of anger regarding the rape clause issue at the moment.

This has to be one of those southend news network type wind up stories right? There is no way anyone of sound mind could propose or support something like that.

a ruling which means that women who need to claim child tax credits for a third child must be able to prove that the child was conceived as a result of rape.

It is a bizarre thing indeed

Sounds like “false news” to me.

AKA a load of bollocks.

Fucking hell, it’s a real thing:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tax+credits+rape+clause&oq=tax+credits+rape+clause&aqs=chrome..69i57.10468j1j4&client=tablet-android-sonymobile&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I knew the Tories were cunts, but this is cuntery redux…

You have your finger on the Scottish zeitgeist more than I do but I doubt that story will hold much sway at the ballot box for Scots in weeks from now. Which isn’t comment on the story itself.

The LibDems in Scotland could be a thing. And England too. In 2010 we had Clegg Bounce and I agree with Nick etc. On polling day their vote went backwards and Farron isn’t nearly as appealing as Clegg. Bit odd, bit religious.

I’m not expecting true blue Scotland (as if!) but Con gains north of the border? As implausible as it sounds, yeah I think so.

Yep.

Nup, you have yet to plumb the full depths of Tory cuntishness, that’s all.

2 Likes

My local lab MP has disowned Corbyn. Lots of Labour types are throwing their toys out of their prams about it, yet since he is incumbent he gets to be their candidate by right. Oh what a lovely war.

My local con MP was a mate of Dave’s. Theresa has cast him into the outer darkness https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/08/ed-vaizey-left-cold/# but whether or not there’s weeping and gnashing of teeth it won’t stop him from getting re-elected. I fear we’re stuck with him until he decides to quit of his own accord.

VB

The talk tonight regarding the election in my local - mostly strong Labour voters (me and a few others excepted) was to either no show, spoil paper or Monster Looney Party.

No-one supported Corbyn and co.

At the end of the session everyone agreed the no show option was out so they were down to two options.

Local elections coming up. I have always voted Labour here because our member has worked hard and talked to everyone at every opportunity. She’s seen the writing on the wall so will be retiring.

No way I would put a tick to anything that could imply support for Corbyn and that lot of … lots more deleted.

Ditch him or loose.

Same here. Our chap earns more in his other job than anyone bar perhaps George Osborne and was also chucked off the Committees for standards & privileges for failing to correctly declare his earnings eleswhere. He’s only spoken in 7 debates in the last year. (I’m surprised it’s as much as that given that he spends most of his time trousering large sums as a full time barrister,) A nice generous majority here means he doesn’t really have to do too much in the way of politicking or local consultation.

personified:

1 Like

My MP is a right cunt, voted for everything that is true blue right wing Tory

Even voted against EU citizens right to remain in the UK despite both her parents being immigrants

And there’s the rub. MP’s should be awarded a salary commensurate with their position* AND be prevented from having a secondary (or in some cases primary) ‘occupation’

*A minimum of £150k wouldn’t be out of the way IMO.

2 Likes

Think I’ll have to vote lib dem this time

1 Like