General election 8th June

Lose

1 Like

Hm.

My local mp is Andrea Leadsom. Bugger.

At least youā€™ve got someone to really vote against!

1 Like

I will find out who came second last time and vote for them. She did have a fairly large majority though.

How many Tory remainers are going to vote differently this time?

weā€™ve got to put up with Grant Shapps here - no chance of anyone else winning

ā€œCoalition of Chaosā€ - get tae fuck

My local tosser is Huw Merriman (Con). His closest rival was an uber tosser called Geoffrey Bastin (UKIP). Our area has been blue for as long as I remember and I canā€™t ever see it changing :scream::anguished::sob:

This is the tragic stereotype self entitled Tory wet that we ended up with and no doubt will be returned in June -

He collared me outside the polling station at the last election and asked if I could count on his vote in front of his flunkies.
Regrettably for him I had had a few ales beforehand and said ā€˜I donā€™t vote for cuntsā€™,
to which he replied quickly, 'what makes you think Iā€™m a cunt?'
I said 'simple - you look like a cuntā€™
His flunkies smirked like the centurions behind Biggus Dickus back in Monty Python.

9 Likes

Not sure thereā€™s a huge number of us.

ā€¦at least 2 :slight_smile:

Ours is John Howell (Con) in the Royal Borough of Henley. The area is genuinely blue, however, 55% voted to Remain. So Iā€™m hoping against all hope that, as a bare minimum, he (and The Conservatives) gets a bloody nose.

Apparently youā€™re rich if you earn over Ā£70K !

Look forward to the rest of Labourā€™s campaign gleeā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Corbynā€™s going for the anti-establishment play that Trump and other buffoons exploit -

He will add that those rules ā€œhave created a cosy cartel which rigs the system in favour of a few powerful and wealthy individuals and corporationsā€.

Mr Corbyn will say: ā€œItā€™s a rigged system set up by the wealth extractors for the wealth extractors.ā€

Failed politician weighs up opportunity to fail yet again -

2 Likes

Seems reasonable. What figure would you say defines it for the UK? (bearing in mind not everyone lives in Bucks)

Iā€™ve always thought that assets define being ā€˜richā€™. Salary is transient and does not necessarily indicate wealth of assets.

Here you go, this seems reasonable, and noting that itā€™s from 2011, you donā€™t see anything near Ā£70k being put forward as even close to richā€¦

As usual Corbyn has confused middle classes (himself included with his ā€˜richā€™ salary), with the rich, and has thus alienated a huge section of the population from voting for himā€¦

It is actually a really decent estimate by Corbyn (I hasten to add I find the man shudderingly awful). See here for instance: UK Perspectives 2016: Personal and household finances in the UK - Office for National Statistics

Iā€™ll comment on the graphic titled: Median equivalised household disposable income, UK, 1977 to financial year ending 2015

Average UK salaries were a shade over Ā£27K for the 2015 financial year in real terms. The more reliable figure is the median equivalised household disposable income which is about Ā£60K for the top 20% and just a shade over Ā£25K for the typical household. The median is less sensitive to outliers. It is a sobering message that the median income for the poorest 20% of households has been resolutely below Ā£10K per annum in real terms.

What is stark from the figures is how the gap between the poorest 20% and the average household is relatively constant, but that the gap between the richest and poorest (or average) household as measured by average household disposable income is expanding. The rich are growing (relatively) richer and at a faster rate that at almost any time in history, again in real terms.

Iā€™m all for a bit of managed redistribution*, but it seems to be going in the wrong direction over the last 40 years. This kind of inequality is unsustainable in my view.

*By this I mean I would rather pay a little more tax to educate, house and provide opportunities for the poorest and weakest members of society. The alternative is to pay directly which can be very costly indeed.

3 Likes

Is this Ā£70K household income or individual income?

Hinting at policy without detail is next to useless. I know plenty of people with household income well-over Ā£70K who arenā€™t by any measure living ā€˜richā€™ lives.