Gigs I'm going to. The Gyroscope diaries

Off to see John Murry again in a couple of weeks, amazing live.

Thethe

Went to see Martin and Eliza Carthy tonight.
Seen them both loads of times but this was the first time I have seen them play together. (Apart from when they were both in The Imagined Village but that was a much bigger band).

2 Likes

Ryan Adams at the Sage Gateshead tonight.

Temple on the hill with a church in front!

4 Likes

Newcastle at Boiler Shop - October 25th

2 Likes

Where did they get the stupid name from?

Godspeed You! Black Emperor was formed in 1994 in Montreal, Quebec, by Efrim Menuck (guitar), Mike Moya (guitar), and Mauro Pezzente (bass), taking its name from God Speed You! Black Emperor, a 1976 Japanese black-and-white documentary by director Mitsuo Yanagimachi, which follows the exploits of a Japanese biker gang, the Black Emperors.

Thursday this week at the Royal Albert Hall - Later with Jools Holland 25. Guests are; Foo Fighters, Paul Weller, Van Morrison, Dizzee Rascal, KT Tunstall, Gregory Porter, Kali Uchis, Camille, Songhoy Blues and Jorja Smith.

4 Likes

thethe at the Troxy next June

3 Likes

Thea Gilmore on Thursday night at The Ropetackle in Shoreham.

2 Likes

OK. So Godspeed You! Black Emperor isn’t significantly more strange than the names they started out with (Efrim Menuck has to be an anagram doesn’t it ? Fuck me miner ?).

VB

1 Like

Canadians, see? Funny lot. @Professor_Chaos

Powerful stuff, no doubt, but can’t understand a feckin’ word !

Looking forward to a night of psych on Thursday headlined by Rancho Relaxo who are playing their first ever UK gig before they head up to Liverpool Psych Fest.

Just in from Stupid Cosmonaut supporting Minami Deutsch at the Soup Kitchen in MCR. Decent gig and all over by 10:15 meaning an easy drive home.

1 Like

Tomorrow and Saturday is the Liverpool Psyche Festival. I have a house full of loons for the next few days. Fun will be had.

2 Likes

Must try and make it up for the Fest one year. My other half has family that way so it should be easy to arrange.

:+1: It is a decent Festival. Still has a touch of the DIY vibe despite the encroaching commercial vibe. The bands are largely irrelevant as it is a belting weekend out irrespective of who plays.

I went to the Bristol Psyche Fest for the first time this year. The organisers really pushed the boat out with the venue, but it was poorly attended. They must have lost a fair wedge of cash. Keeping these things small probably ensures their survival, as long as no one is looking to get rich.

The Heads have announced they are playing Roadburn next year and will play a gig in Bristol to warm up. My money is on it being at The Exchange and I shall be up the front.