Heathrow

When I was about 6 my mum found me at the bathroom window having tied one end of a long piece of string to a hook in the frame and thrown the other end across the garden path onto the shed roof opposite. Apparently I was about to get out of the window and “slide down the string onto the shed roof”. That might have made quite a difference, along the lines of spending the rest of my life (had there been any) incapacitated. Yeah, cables can make a difference :wink:.

VB

In that case I shall get rid of all my cables and use string instad

I think the moral of that anecdote was that string is an inadequate substitute for cable(s)…

Awww, why did you have to tell him. I was looking forward to a series of ‘I think my amp is broken’ threads…:rolling_eyes:

1 Like

Luton doesn’t have the space.

The lovely green fields to the South and East already have planning permission for 2500 new houses and a new business park, all linked by roads that are, quite literally, just about wide enough to drive my fantastic Audi A3 1.8 Turbo Sport down.

Talk about how to make a shitty place even shittyer. FFS !

The problem with the majority of airports is the woefull lack of available public transport. I love driving, but driving to, and parking at, airports is utter hell, not to mention usually way more expensive than the flight. Gatwick is just about OK. Gatwick Express is fine, but it goes from Victoria, so for just about anyone travelling from north of London, that means train, tube, train. Travelling on the tube with luggage is NOT fun and depending on the time, it can be utter hell.

Heathrow? Joke. Luton? Reasonable, but the station is not at the airport, so you need to get a dreaded bus from the station to somewhere a bloody long walk from the airport at the moment.

Stansted? Forget it. Train to Stansted is from Liverpool Street. About 60 miles by car for us to Stansted. Train is here to St Panc. Tube to Tottenham, train to Stansted. About two and a half hours. Plus, at weekends expecially, the last train is ludicrously early, so if your flight arrives late evening, it’s drive or nothing.

Absolutely no connected thinking. They’ll spend millions ‘developing’ the terminals (rough translation, finding ever more ways to try and make people spend money), but fuck all on transport links. Of course, why the hell would they care? If the holiday you want means flying from a specific airport, then you’re screwed, because you’ll just have to find a way to get there and back.

I’m bloody glad I have never flown in my life - sounds hellish,:laughing:

Anyone thought about taking a mini cab to the airport?? :dizzy_face:

Yeah, great idea that. A 60 mile mini-cab journey, one way at two in the morning. That’ll be cheap.

Often a cab is far cheaper than driving and parking at an airport at £14/day…

Plus you don’t have to drag your luggage all over the place as it can drop and collect you from right outside the terminal…

Sometimes a few extra quid is worth it for the lack of stress and time saving…
Just saying like… :grinning:

1 Like

I was always under the impression that if you can afford to fly you must have your own chauffeur driven limo?

I used to do it all the time when the taxpayer was paying. Trouble was that my bit of the public sector was frugal even then, so I’d often be sharing with as many other people as they could squeeze into one cab. I might have to get there way early so others could make their flights. Equally I might have to wait at the airport until everyone had arrived before we could all head home. Then to cap it all one of the preferred cab companies’ depots was at the end of my street. So guess who was the last drop-off :weary:. In the end I took to making my own train/bus arrangements.

VB

Economics dictate that I use Long Stay parking over the preferred lazy route. £140 return by car or £90 for up to 4 weeks Parking at Heathrow. That’s £50 more to be spent on booze.
It’s a no brainer!

Driving = not drinking on return.

Door to door Maybach (both ways) or I don’t fly.

I don’t drink after the first 4 hours of a long haul flight, so not an issue. Maybachs are just over rated Mercs.

Driving to T5 about 5 or 6 tonight just know, I’m going to be fucked by the M25…staying at a hotel tonight for flight tomorrow morning…got a good deal for 4 nights parking in the Softitel…only £40 more than just the room, and just a walk across the bridge from the terminal.

Oh no Jesus wept, how hellish, having to go several hours without alcohol, is that actually humanly possible? :thinking:

Heathrow has already 2 runways? :joy:
Schiphol has 5 full size due to the changing wind directions and they are everything but the largest airport…

Can they not manage cross-wind landings in Holland?

1 Like

No, we’re champions in water management.
See following news report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdcUSkjd1eI