Hipsters

So much this. If you pin it down, then it won’t be hipster anymore. By definition.

1 Like

hmmm. not so sure:

Well trimmed and heavily styled large beard.
Check shirt.
Quiff or similar poncy hair do.
Big boots and big jeans.
Vegan.
Sneering pomposity.
Vegan.
does lots of things “ironically”, like going to a restaurant in shoreditch and paying £8 for a bowl of cornflakes.
Vegan.
Organic.
Vegan.
Wears leather boots with no sense of irony.
No irony about the ironic irony.

2 Likes

Not sure that sneering pomposity is exclusively a hipster trait.

1 Like

Ahh the labour snowflake… sorry luv.

1 Like

I think that the look that everyone recognises as hipster, the beard that looks like the front of an American locomotive from 1900, the institutional haircut, sleeve tattoo etc,etc, the truly hip were into maybe 10 years ago or more. They dropped it when it became popular and have been into other stuff ever since. The term hipster, must be a media invention to describe the fashion, just like Teddy Boy, Punk or Hippie…

3 Likes

Welcome back, I see you’ve been fully rejuvenated by your break… :roll_eyes::kissing_heart:

I get your drift.

I do associate the hipster “movement” with a vegan/green/very leftie/anti GMO nonsense type thing too. Certainly the way in Brighton.

Well that perfectly describes the People’s Republic of Brighton imo… lol.

1 Like

Different thing. That Vegan, Leftie, anti Monsanto type person was certainly around in Brighton when I lived there in the late 80’s but I recall similar types being around in Birmingham in the late 70’s aswell.

The easy to mock Hipsters of the last decade are about something else really. There was a very good Beeb doc fronted by Peter York recently which traced it back to its roots in Brooklyn but also to how/why it took root in the East End. That group is defined by people searching for the ‘authentic’.

Sadly no longer on the iPlayer although I’m sure it could be found.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b081v950

It doesn’t need to be seen as a political movement & while aspects of it are comical I really don’t see the harm. It’s not like they’re the EDL or some other odious group…

3 Likes

I do think that some levels of ‘hipsterdom’ it is a search for authenticity (which I think someone else said earlier), or maybe a reaction against mass production, mass market consumerism. ‘Hipsters’ don’t wear much in the way of designer labels and resent shopping in Sainsbury’s. The Idea of baking trad bread and drinking proper coffee etc, etc is perhaps something to believe in.

Edit: Ha! Guy got there before me with the authentic thing.

2 Likes

Yep, fair enough. I see that.

I’m probably being swayed by the one hipster in my village,who also happens to be a vegan anti GMO, anti science type.

I get on great with him, amazingly. Very funny chap. Just wrong (IMHO) about a lot of things. :slight_smile:

That’s not a hipster, that’s a fuckwit. Albeit the Venn diagram does intersect to an extent.

2 Likes

Yes why not use a sample size of one to formulate one’s own prejudice against much larger numbers of people you’ve never met and have no insight into :joy:

3 Likes

He’s probably right though.

I tried to grow a beard and my wife just said: Tramp

Looked more like something I last saw in “Team America” when they started on the stunningly effective disguise scenes.

5 Likes

Hahaha! I’m anti-science.

His mates are the same in fairness.

You’ve got me wondering now. Is that annoying hipster at the football an actual hipster or is he just a fuckwit with ridiculous topiary for a beard?

I think this is what you meant.

1 Like

I have a manly beard.

4 Likes