Horse Racing

Big time Racing fan here…especially Cheltenham…
Any other racing fans finding today and the outlook of the rest of the meeting pretty uninspiring and down on quality compared to recent years ?
I’m aware the ‘going’ is a factor so far but the gold cup especially seems to be looking like being sub standard in quality ?
Racing ‘stars’ come and go but last year and this is a bit Meh ?

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Ok,back to what piss we’re chucking down our throat it is then :+1::wink:

1 Like

Moar like it :+1:

Best 4 days of the sporting year.

I agree todays big races were a little lacking, though the Champion Hurdle was an exciting race (especially after backing Buveur D’Air at 4/1 last November).:sunglasses:

Todays racing looks better with a cracking Queen Mother Chase, and two really good novice races.

Thursday has a really good Stayers Hurdle and Friday’s Gold Cup will have a big field and looks wide open.

Bring it on!!:grinning:

Did ok yesterday - backed Summerville Boy (how did he win after those two mistakes?) and Coo Star Sivola. A decent day:+1:

I walked across to Lockinge yesterday, past the bronze statue of Best Mate on the village green and then on the footpath through Henrietta Knight’s yard with the horses poking their heads out through the traditional stable doors to check who the passer-by was. It was very picturesque indeed, if a bit quiet (I guess quite a few people were somewhere else !).

VB

1 Like

Prompted me to look at the map. Out of interest what is Diamond Light Source? A mini CERN?

Henrietta was responsible for buying the last winner yesterday, trained by Mick Channon. Had him at 20/1 antepost.:sunglasses:
Wonder if Mick did his famous arm swirling celebration in the winners enclosure.:grinning:

1 Like

It was amazing he could win after those mistakes - must have a hell of an engine.
Maybe next years Champion Hurdler if he doesn’t go chasing? 25/1 available.

It’s an electron synchrotron - a circular machine, like CERN, in which bunches of electrons are accelerated and then stored. Unlike CERN we’re not interested in the electrons themselves. The reason for running the machine is to generate X-rays as the electrons’ path is bent. These X-rays can be very bright and their pulsed nature allows them to probe the time-dependency of the phenomena they’re used to investigate.

The siting of the DLS was controversial. Its predecessor - the SRS - was located at Daresbury in Cheshire and the DLS was the brainchild of the SRS scientists. They proposed it, organised the scientific user community in support of it and carried out the detailed design of it. They expected that if it was funded it would be built on their site. Explanations for the decision, which was taken by politicians, to build it down here range from the greater political support for the Tory party in this part of the world (this is a complex one since the final decision was actually taken by a Labour government), to the benefits of concentrating all of the country’s scientific expertise on one site, to the revenge taken by the head of one of the funding bodies for the director of the SRS having seduced his wife (I am not making this up). Who knows what the truth was ?

VB

3 Likes

Going is the key to him. If he hadn’t made those two errors he would have won by at least 6-8 lengths and was going away. Not sure what his form would be like on typical Cheltenham going.

25/1 for next years CH is very tempting :+1:

Just tried to get on with Betfred but their website seems to be fucked and although it lists the race and the horse there are no prices on display.

Will try again later.

He is by an unusual sire in Sandmason - who was trained on the flat by Henry Cecil and won on firm going at Royal Ascot so on pedigree better ground shouldn’t be an issue.

Funnily enough there is another Sandmason horse running in todays opener for the same owner, trainer, jockey combo - Black Op who has a very good e/w chance although the Irish might be hard to beat.

That’s a new sire for me. I’ll keep an eye out - thanks

He’s been around for ages (he’s 21 now) and has never sired anything approaching a decent horse before, but out of the blue he now has two very promising young horses.

Probably why he’s never been on my radar

If it’s true Altior hated the ground today then it was a monster performance :+1:

Min is a weak finisher so even though Altior was not pretty, the moment he got going up the straight he was always going to outstay Min. With Douvan falling there was nothing much to beat.

It was similar in style to his performance in the Arkle last year.

Had another good day until the last two races which were won by horses it was impossible to fancy, even though they were from the top two stables.