Weird Food Combinations that Work...maybe. (We've moved on from Hot Cross Buns)

It’s the summer. Have a word with yourself.

Inspired by Jon’s efforts - smoked streaky bacon and maple HXBs for lunch:

4 Likes

This opens up whole new vistas - tripe trifle, ‘summer and black’ pudding, chocolate-coated salami, liver paté pavlova . Why did no-one think of it before ? You know … maybe there’s a reason for that ?

Just because we can make something, that doesn’t necessarily mean we should

VB

2 Likes

But it’s SOOOOOO MUCH FUN!

It’s a slippery slope. And can only end badly.

This looks all right

But I remain to be convinced that it would be improved by having three or four Cadbury’s creme eggs melted flat and slid into the stack.

VB

Funny really when I consider you come from the land of Lincolnshire Plum Loaf - basically a spicier, fruitier HXB intended to accompany cheese (which it does very well of course)…

Meat. Cheese.

Cheese. Meat.

Sticky bun.

If you listen very carefully that noise you’ll hear is old Tommy Bycroft spinning in his grave

http://www.bycrofts.co.uk/html/history.html

My cousin was a slaughterman at Bycroft’s when they still did their own killing, and my aunt worked behind the counter for years.

VB

2 Likes

Don’t give these monsters any further ideas.

4 Likes

No, but that’s because the Cream Egg is the wrong sort of thing to try and add, you’re taking an item that is already going to feel very fatty on the mouth and adding a shed load more fat (plus a ton of sugar). It would destroy the balance.

What might work is maybe changing some of the standard acidic components (gherkins, mustard, ketchup, tomato, onion) for something that also brings that level of acidity. It’s partly why people started adding pineapple to burgers and gammon, although imho they are generally too invasive a flavour. Get too much balance and you start to destroy the umami flavours that really make the dish sing.

1 Like

I’ve moved onto scones

2 Likes

And rightly so. :+1:

Cheese, fruit or plain?

Fruit

1 Like

anchovy scones? I have a very nice recipe (Gary Rhodes, I think) for a beef stew topped off with anchovy scones

1 Like

Until I get bored with jam and clotted cream,I think I’ll give it a miss

4 Likes

Hmmm… I have some nice stewing beef and a slew of smoked oysters that I plan to en-pudding soon - some anchovies in the suet crust would be killah, innit?

Must be said we do bloody well for good butchers in this area. People around here still appreciate a nice hunk of Meat - and the bready, yeasty, fruity, spicy baked goods to accompany it with… :wink:

1 Like

Feckin’ bun trolls and baked goods abusers everywhere. Decadence foreshadowing the end-times delivered by the tiny orange fingers of doom, no doubt.

:worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried:

2 Likes

Not sure about it combining well with the oysters, but beef + prunes in a stew is a winning combination.

1 Like

Beef and oyster pudding is very much a traditional British recipe - there’s a (crap) version in Mrs Beeton’s. I usually make a stout or porter based gravy - the flavours hang together an absolute treat :+1:

2 Likes