Weird Food Combinations that Work...maybe. (We've moved on from Hot Cross Buns)

Fancy a trade? I can post hand churned salted for jebus buns by post.

You do definitely need Bread Ahead in your life. I’ll see what we can do this coming week. London is pregnant with buns, in fact has a bun in its oven! They must be systematically studied and appraised one by one. Standardisation with some quality spreading fat would help. :+1:

2 Likes

Our shop is getting some from the bakery on Unst next week. Watch this space.

4 Likes

There was a discussion early in the thread about toasted versus oven warmed. I have always done the former, but I do admit to becoming somewhat oven-curious after my first try…

Batch of 12 just about to go in. Just have to pipe on the crosses.

It’s a tedious job making them though. 3 proves with the BBC recipe.

5 Likes

Nice!

I shall try the oven as soon as I have enough bun to not have to worry about the outcome. :grinning:

1 Like

Pics!

I am back on the low carb, low sugar diet. So fuck all of you and your HCBs :rage:

7 Likes

Didn’t have any rum but gave the fruit a briefish soak in Brandy.

12 Likes

They look great. :heart_eyes:

A nice glaze! For not the first time, I wish my screen was scratch N sniff

2 Likes

Glaze is actually warmed up golden syrup but is only thin so won’t taste too obtrusive.

Should do two crosses and call them hot hashtag buns

1 Like

Spotted in local Morrisons - is nothing sacred, ffs??!

1 Like

I pressed the heart to see who liked it expecting to see @A_Touch_of_Cloth :grin:

1 Like

One of guys jobbies,seriously good

3 Likes

And to replace that offensive image, for which all present have my heartfelt apology:

Mrs H’s most recent batch, to a Hobbs House recipe; a well-spiced, twice-proved medium weight dough with as much fruit as you want, orange and lemon zest and a light sugar-syrup and spice glaze. Sadly, they didn’t last long enough to be photographed ‘in action’.

They are good straight from the oven or split and toasted - the debate here is usually whether to grill both sides or just the cut face - and then lavishly buttered (salted of course…)

Cost is about £4.30 for a batch of 16

7 Likes

Sorry Stu, didn’t mean your image is offensive … :wink:

1 Like

The Bertorelli spread is ,:smiley: