Weird Food Combinations that Work...maybe. (We've moved on from Hot Cross Buns)

…unrealistic expectations…

Easter_muthafucka

More Sainsburys goodness this afternoon. Definitely not one-hit wonders.

I had these untoasted and buttered, mainly to annoy the HCBOC.

Are you David Davis in disguise? That is the kind of joined up thinking that will get you a job at DExEu.

The Metro paper on my Park & Ride bus, says Waitrose “Spicy and Plump Richly Fruited Hot Cross Buns” are the best, M&S “Luxury Hot Cross Buns” second, Aldi "Specially Selected Luxury Hot Cross Buns, third, Tesco and Asda fourth, and Sainsbury’s and Lidl fifth.

I had a Tesco’s Finest Bramley Apple and Cinnamon bun this afternoon. Toasted on the cut face only and Waitrose salted butter. It was shit. A horrible stodgy, doughy thing. Avoid.

Ok, recipe review.

The extra step of making the roux bit at the beginning produces a sensational result. The softness if the dough produced was much better than the Paul Hollywood recipe. I ended up adding quite a bit more flour than the recipe suggests and even then the dough was quite wet and tricky to work with.

Soaking the raisins in rum seemed to be absolutely pointless. Neither of us could taste it.

I added some dried apricots because I like them, and next time I’d also add the apple from the Hollywood recipe as I thought that worked well.

The recipe does produce a particularly sticky dough. As such I’d highly recommend covering hands, worksurface and measuring utensils in oil before trying to form the buns. I use Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall’s technique to give the bun shape. With this recipe, a half cup measure is about right if you don’t want to weigh each one individually.

I’d also recommend setting a timer and not going for a shit whilst they are cooking as it leads to a degree of burning on the top.

1 Like

Funny-I did exactly the same when I got in from work this arvo. Was going to post exactly the same sentiment-complete rubbish.
Worst this year.

1 Like

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have enjoyed it, even with your nan’s hand shandy.

6 Likes

:grinning:

Yer nan.

2 Likes

Inappropriate

Yer Maw’s Maw?

6 Likes

This is getting ridiculous.

Hoist by my own Maw. :frowning:

5 Likes

clearly you need to eat many more HXBs from other establishments in order to form a validated and reliable preference for something that nobody else here has access to :disappointed:

1 Like

4 Likes

Wife just came upstairs with a plate with two mince pies. Neither was for me, apparently. I’m not sure how to deal with this.

3 Likes