Weird Food Combinations that Work...maybe. (We've moved on from Hot Cross Buns)

These are the ones I’ve been inhaling https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsburys-hot-cross-buns-x6

Similar price…

Someone’ll be trying jelly scavenged from the inside of pork pies next. The salty butter people will like it because it’s salty, the marmite people will like it for the trace of meaty umami and the jelly (jam) people will like it because it’s, um, jelly. Some people will eat anything.

VB

2 Likes

Sterling Tea trolling and report from Bun Man 1. This Jam business (Unless spiced plumb) is brine to the already wet and knotted rope. Honey on the other hand is commendable

Mrs VB (no pun intended) says honey is “mugging the bees”. She seems to have a soft spot for the critters and is displeased if I point out that “they’re just bugs”.

VB

2 Likes

Forgot these from Weds I think. 4 for £4. They were very good, up there with the better ones we have tried. Good fruit and spice and not too stodgy :+1:

1 Like

I didn’t realise that the home of the Celts is Haringey.

VB

Mahoosive HCBs from Tesco Bakery Didcot. Literally, the biggest I’ve seen at almost 4" across and 2" deep. Thus, exceptional value @ 65p for 4.
Here’s the kicker - size isn’t everything. They have a lovely texture, sufficient fruit but not enough spice.

End of Term Report: Tasty but could do better.

1 Like

That’s in Narnia now. Probably explains it.

VB

2 Likes

I’m warming (intended) to the idea of putting them in the oven instead of toasting.

I am of the belief that toasting may well fuck the aromatics and a gentle heat could well work…

It was that pic of James’s that got me thinking

2 Likes

We did the one’s Guy brought over the other day with his marge in the oven.
Have to say,they were much nicer.

1 Like

1 Like

I’m Hoping to get some of the Brighton “bun of legend” for Monday. I’m sending a small delegation to the south coast for the weekend and have told them to queue as long as it takes. :+1:

2 Likes

I can see a market for Easter Spiced Butter (salted of course) for all these wimpy HCBs

1 Like

2 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

You wiss showing off the shears

1 Like

Not my choice and in my view, meh! Orange and cranberry is a thing but not in a HCB. Shame because they had good texture. Couldn’t tell you much about flavour really except ORANGE AND CRANBERRY. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Is that a lady’s arm? :thinking:

2 Likes

Nice teabagging!

4 Likes