JP's car - I Ignored the Advice and Bought What I'd Already Decided on

Into some plebs.

2 Likes

It’s the old shape E Class. I’m actually leaning towards it for the extra space.

BTW, I agree, that piano gloss plastic they are pushing is utterly horrendous. They so a matt (black ash) version which is much nicer. My brother has the ash version on his new C class, and it’s a much nicer place to sit.

1 Like

9 Likes

I prefer those aswell. I did look at them when my mazda exploded, but pussied out - I would only pcp cars like that, except I just cant get my head passed having nothing to show for it after 2 or 3 years. Maybe when it’s time to change again in a couple of years I’ll try it. A nearly new 5 is very very tempting.

The taxi drivers we use for work for airport runs say the old shape Es are good but have electrical problems with various sensors falling too often.

1 Like

merc will bore you (you might want that) if it is anything like the C Class I have just spent time with.

1 Like

Well from my point of view, it’s a very nice choice either way to be fair, I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t be disgusted with either choice :-).

1 Like

You would try to shovel a Wankel engine under the bonnet though Rob…

2 Likes

if most of your driving is m ways and decent a roads get ‘‘boring’’ merc. I would rather be boared and comfortable and keep my licence. Only had one merc, a C-class estate, in 7 years it cost me a few tyres, cooling hose, and a spring beyond servicing. Mind that’s more than 15 years of Volvo. Never owned a felt the urge to try a BMW, my old mans 535 put me off. Drive that for a couple of hours I had a buggered right knee and ankle for a week.

Obviously :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good at electricity, shite at swimming…

Beemers don’t float either
IMG_2937

That’s a three series though, I’ll bet the five is better.

I will never have a BMW again as it affected my hip and leg, the chiropractor’s exact words were “do you drive a BMW or a Golf? If so get rid of it”.

I’d probably go for the Merc if it was me and I was doing lots of miles. Comfort and refinement are far more important for that role than shaving three seconds of a lap of the Nurburgring. Used Jag XJ?

Last series of S class Merc is also coming down in price to more affordable levels.

£17k will buy you a nice Range Rover, so this is obviously the correct thing to do. You could even have one that runs on tractor fuel if you really must.

2 Likes

mmm i like the look of the merc even if its the 4th most targeted car accoding to the sun !!

1 Like

Feck, have you seen Jim ? Only a fool would nick his car :grin:

1 Like

:hearts: 20K buys this…

https://www.richardgracecars.co.uk/for-sale/maserati-quattroporte-executive-gt/259

5 Likes