Kondo M7 clone

Hi - I built mine with all AN capacitors so hopefully it should be reasonable. Please come along to have a listen and I would be grateful for your feedbacks. I am busy so won’t be there but I hope it will give you another perspective on the sound. Rob is a very decent person and does a fantastic job with these things.

What’s interesting is the high voltage (high voltage JFETs are not a thing any more). It’s a bit like using pentodes. In fact that give me an idea.

As Tony says, the kit is something between an M7 and M77. The basic circuits are identical, at least for the full pre with phono, just the use of a parallel 12AY7 in the output on the M77 and a couple of cathode resistor tweaks. From memory, the kits use the M7 cathode resistor values for both M7 and M77 kits.

The M7 line was very different, with just a single 5687, but again various versions, some with solid state rectifiers, some with tube. Some with oil caps, some with silver.

Later M7s (post Mr Kondo) were different again.

It’s hard to be definitive.

1 Like

Permanently confused over electronical type things, vaguely get it sometimes. I’ll stick to bits of metal and wood.

Hi Philip

Would very much like to hear yours. I also built the M77 kit with the phono stage. I would say the M7 kit is a far more successful implementation.

Yes mine had a 5687 and 12AY7s in

Lol, yet another combo. I think I’m up to about 5 versions.

You should build a version of each and have your very own M7-off

Why would I want to do that?

You should get on with your speakers. What was the bet we had? :rofl:

I hope it involved food and public shaming.

1 Like

That’s pretty much business as usual for Adam.

4 Likes

hi everyone,

does anyone have a set of 4 x 12ay7 nos triple mica for sale and/or 4x KR 300B (hopefully for reasonable money)?

Thank you very much

Philip