Living Voice

Funnily enough, when we tried the SIT (pmac’s one) with Phil’s LV’s, the bass was brilliant.

4 Likes

Running Paul’s SIT with my speakers was the best bass i’ve heard from OBXs, period.

2 Likes

If you don’t enjoy them at Definitive with home advantage plus Lynn supplying biscuits then LVs are definitely not for you :smile:

1 Like

I have huge full soundstage with mine.
About 4m apart and toed in heavily.

Some at Scalford this year and they sounded terrible. Thin and weak. Same room as some Wilson puppy which sounded better.

I put a lot down to the placement and room, as I suspect they weren’t doing justice. Too big s room and too wide a position maybe.

In Kevin’s showroom, which is huge, he has them about 15 feet apart, way out into the room, can’t remember toe in, I think pretty much straight ahead, but drives them with 18 watts?? Huge soundstage, fills the room, and have heard them at over 104db, many times; always sounded great. You don’t really miss the bass.

2 Likes

I have heard them at Kevin’s in that big room with my puny 8W 300B SET amp, and they have been great, really very musical and coherent and excellent on some up tempo jazz numbers.

I really cant relate to all the neg comments I am reading :confused:

2 Likes

I drive mine with 18W.

yeah, I have heard them a lot with 18W Kondo Gakuoh as well :rofl:

Do you have any news of the new WE300B Simon?

not heard anything yet. last story I heard was early 2018… but it feels like we have been here so many times before :roll_eyes:

Very true :frowning:

Agree, positioning is a bastard but they had a fantastic mid-range.

IMG_0604 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

4 Likes

I appreciate the kit at Scalford isn’t always going to sound its best due to being set up in a different size room to the owners home, but I think there’s often a tendency to put speakers in rooms that are too big for them & try to compensate by whacking the volume up. This tactic never works imo and just makes the speakers sound stressed and shouty. I may like them more if I were to spend some time listening in a smaller, intimate room at sound volumes that aren’t trying to impress.

1 Like

I always do the opposite. 100% of the time. Speakers must be huge, that’s basically my only rule.

5 Likes

This - and other positive experiences I’m sure devolve from partnering them with exceptionally fine amplifiers - such as your monos. Just imagine how amazing those would sound on some proper full-range speakers.

You really do, trust me.

Speakers like these dictate what music you can play - that is falling at hifi’s first hurdle, and results in the kind of tragic audiophilia that distils your record collection down to a couple of dozen high quality recordings of unchallenging “hifi show music”

HUGE credit to their maker for bunging some very ordinary drivers into a fairly ordinary box, strapping on a disproportionately high-quality crossover and having the remarkable salesmanship skills to turn it into a persistant audiophile meme rivalling Linn’s LP12.

7 Likes

You’re a persistent audiophile meme, etc. etc.

3 Likes

Play something challenging at any sort of volume, not the plinky plonk crap you get there. I tried from Front 242 and they totally failed to deliver dynamics & bass power.

1 Like

wtf would I want to play Front 242?

10 Likes

This is the world of Bob, where loud and shouty music is played on loud and shouty equipment and where subtleties are what foreign films have.

11 Likes