LP Cleaning

http://www.analogueseduction.net/knosti-record-cleaning-machines-accessories/knosti-replacement-record-drying-rack.html may be more practical…

1 Like

After an initial blast of cleaning 800 albums over a 6 weeks, I now clean new acquisitions as I get them. Not too much of a ball ache.

3 Likes

Yep, it makes no sense to clean big batches of records, even if you have a fairly quiet machine. Just clean the one you want to listen to, before you play it…:+1:

1 Like

I’m sure you’ll all call me some kind of unmentionable name but I quite like cleaning records. I find it strangely therapeutic.
I especially like it when a completely disgusting example turns out to be a gem after a good clean.

1 Like

There are no names that are unmentionable on this forum, and none that I can think of that haven’t been mentioned.

1 Like

I think it’s that I buy new vinyl almost exclusively, and realise that many of them would benefit from being cleaned. I resent it, and well, effort.

1 Like

That’s the thing that pisses me off most. Fair enough having to clean a SH LP, but a ‘new’ one, I mean a fucking NEW one?

If I buy something new, I don’t expect the first essential job will be to clean the fucking thing.

1 Like

All very well Guy but then where do you park your bike?

I never remember having to do it back in the day, although I used to buy some spray stuff from Tandy for 2nd hand stuff.

But a lot of today’s stuff definitely has some very thin oily stuff on it. I don’t know what it is, something to make the vinyl look glossy, or a lubricant? I remember a thread on Vinyl Engine where a guy, who was a tech in a pressing plant, swore blind that there was no such thing as “release agent”, and I tend to believe him.

My first proper cleaner was a Knosti, and it was one of those night and day moments, once I deep sixed the oem fluid…

I have a timeshare in a vacuum RCM now, and yes, it is a pain, but way better than the Knosti (which I still use, when I don’t have the RCM, or as a pre wash if I’ve taken a punt on something particularly minging…).