Munich 2017

I think it is Tone Tool but must be a proto’ as it doesn’t appear to be on their site.

http://www.tonetool.de/products/

So many beautiful turntables and so may pig ugly speakers.

Surely it’s a really bad idea for quality? The platter would move all over the place relative to the cartridge, due to the variable forces on it from the stylus. I agree it looks seriously cool though :sunglasses:

A philosopher might point out that because atoms are mostly full of empty space and because they interact with neighbouring atoms through the electromagnetic force, pretty much any kind of ‘solid’ support for the platter is, in truth, a magnetic support. The ‘magnet gap’ in the above case is just one big gap instead of a squillion tiny ones.

VB

4 Likes

Jim heard it through headphones. I gather they were trying to demonstrate what good isolation the MagLev was giving by banging the table. He said the thumps coming through suggested the cartridge was nearly leaving the groove.

I asked about the varying weight of records & the effect a heavy record might have on vta. I was assured that the increased thickness of heavier records made up for the displacement of the platter :grinning:

All that said, there seemed to be quite a few decks at the show that either were levitated by air or magnets or at least had some maglevapplied to decrease the load on the bearing & thereby reduce noise.

Great photos Phil.

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

Just like being there. But without the hangover and meat sweats.

1 Like

Yay, finally got home!

I was going to post some pics, but @PapaLazarou has stolen the show with his stunning efforts.

If only he could hold his drink as well as he holds a camera :wink:

9 Likes

Maybe a moody one for @browellm

9 Likes

Nice and atmospheric.

The highlight of the Transrotor room

2 Likes

How to present the most valuable system at the show.

Half pissed with another refill in yer mit

Nice one JR :+1:

4 Likes

AA recruit.

2 Likes

One of the highlights of the show for me

No, not the t/t - the cartridge - Tedeska

Hand made in Berlin and sounding lovely!

Not for wobbly vinyl then?

The unlikely appearance of an SP-15

Even an SP-10 made it (well, an SL-1000 actually)

Plenty of other old classics on show too

TD 124

2 Likes

One of Bobs lovely plinths would probably go down well there.

3 Likes

Nice to see one or two old mates at the show too

Enough of your house Paul, any pictures from Munich :smile:

5 Likes