New laptop - Is this one any good?

:+1:

I recently got a Dell XPS13 from work which is often cited as the best laptop out there (it is nice) but I still prefer my Lenova X series lappy

keyboard and trackpad were better (for me) being the main reason

the lenova was 2 years old when I got it, I had it for 3 faultless years and was still very happy to keep it when I was forced to upgrade

agree 100% on the SSD - daft not to get a 256 one thee days

Re: 256gb ssds, are there any makes that are better than others?

Nope. There are only 3 basic manufacturers and all you get is variation on a theme. the important part is the connection type and the chip speed. At the prices you are looking at no difference. There is a difference if you plan on spending 10 times as much.

Donā€™t believe the twats on other sites who claim that different SSDā€™s sound different.

1 Like

Another shout for a refurbed Lenovo - got a high spec Thinkpad W540 about a month ago - Ā£2500ā€™s worth for Ā£700 - by a large margin the best PC of any kind Iā€™ve had my paws on.

Agree with Rick about the annoying buttoneless trackpad though.

Some important lessons to be learned from this thread.

Probably.

Predictably, the thing I was going to buy has become a thing I am not going to buy.

I will buy a different, though remarkably similar thing instead.

Or a new coffee machine.

Edit: Unless I manage to find a laptop with nipples and/or a clitoris.

1 Like

See, as usual, itā€™s all good :+1:

Hang on, havenā€™t we all been consistent in saying that you should buy a Lenovo refurb? Not one of us has suggested a coffee machine. I think this thread has been remarkably on topic and useful. We should link to it in the forum ethos.

will that run Win10 and allow you to surf?

Donā€™t buy a coffee machine. Get a sub. to some decent beans each week and use a hand held drip or cafetiĆØre!

Useless if you want espresso.

1 Like

Whatā€™s that got to do with laptops?

Haha, cheeky kunt.

Jesus, itā€™s so hard to be facetious here - like pissing into an ocean of piss.

And yes, I dare say Iā€™ll buy a Lenovo (with a nipple).

PS - what is this forum ethos of which you speak? Is it in the same place as the mystical book of forum rules?

The forum rules are, wait for it, ā€˜there are no rules !ā€™.

That is rule 4

Unlikely, I bet you end up with a desktop and a rash.

Theyā€™ll go out of fashion then and everyone will tell you what a terrible idea it was.

Iā€™m already starting to hate mine.

2 Likes

Lenovo are shit.

Thereā€™s a guy on Etsy who knits laptops from hemp and alpaca. Heā€™s like totally the future of computing.

5 Likes

When it comes to nipples ā€˜nā€™ clitoris you canā€™t beat the older models. They really respond well to your finger action.