Notes from a remote island

It’s about 70% complete, but we really need to take advantage of good weather when it occurs and it’s been great for the last few weeks, so outdoor projects are taking priority. It will get done before winter sets in but the fuel store really is a necessity.

3 Likes

The music room can wait :grinning:

A winter bake off might be fun. I remember a January crossing from Stavanger to Newcastle on the now defunct Bergen Line in a Force 9 photo VomitingSmiley.gif

1 Like

Yep, done that form Lerwick to Aberdeen, great fun!

Winter bake off eh?

Advantages:
Cheaper travel costs
Chance of seeing the Aurora
Temperatures often/usually better than UK mainland

Disadvantages:
Short days
Possibly ‘interesting’ travel conditions
Not barbecue weather! (not that many summer days are!)

Advantages

No midges

Just started to see a few this week, the first this year.

Are you using slates? Seems a bit excessive for a wood store.

Fibre cement ones mate, they were given to me free, so thought I would make use of them. 600 x 300 and there is enough to finish the roof, so I might as well.

Ah, free. Good value then :thumbsup:

Free is good. Everything gets passed around here and very little gets thrown away

1 Like

Managed to get most of the roof laths fitted, but rain & wind stopped play

waits for ex roofer to tell me what I’ve done wrong :anguished:

3 Likes

Looks good to me. Well done sir.
I have been a lazy arse, all day.
Friend tuned our piano, then played some lovely tunes on it (he is an excellent pianist, both classical and jazz), then we had a nice, long, listening session.

1 Like

All looking good. As long as your spacing is correct there’s not much to go wrong.

Oh, good, thanks.

I went for 160mm lap as it’s only a 22.5 deg pitch and it gets a tad blowy here. The slates will be nailed and riveted.

Just for accuracy you’re putting tiles up. Slates are natural products, Welsh and Spanish being the most common. All man made ones are called tiles.

I assume you have ridge tiles as well?

Ah, I see. Marley call them synthetic slates, but I bow to your knowledge.

No ridge tiles yet, I have to go and buy them.

Yup, Marley do things like that all the time :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Aye.

Did you bed the timbers to the wall, or is it freestanding?

And, from interest, which direction does that door open towards?

Edit.

Well during my 49 years in the building trade (10 years in the contracts dept. of a major roofing company) I have never known them called anything but slates. You would get some very funny looks if you referred to them as Eternit tiles.

Maybe a regional thing? although i am not in the trade my Dad was and I remember ‘roof tiles’ being commonly used,