R.I.P. Gene Cernan

The last man to walk on the Moon

1 Like

Very sad, I met him about 15 years ago, charming and witty also…

Another very brave man gone :slight_frown:. When I was a kid people like this were my inspiration.

VB

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.space.com/32079-five-surprises-last-man-on-moon.html?client=ms-android-orange-gb

Really would like to see this film.

1 Like

Sad to hear this. I watched his movie a couple of months ago.

I was 8 when Neil Armstrong uttered his immortal phrase and first set foot on the Moon.
A truly awe inspiring event and it just seemed to get better and better.
On subsequent visits we stayed longer, did more, hell, we even put cars up there and drove around like hooligans.
Star Trek was on the TV promising interstellar travel and the Solar System was ours for the taking.
Then in 1972 Gene Cernan stepped back into the Lunar Module and…
It’s now been 44 years since he left, nearly half a fucking century, and I see no hope of getting back there.
We went to the Moon on 60’s technology, a computer with less power than a pocket calculator and a lander made of tin foil. The advances in technology since have been phenomenal so why don’t we have a moonbase?
(This would of course need to be run by attractive women with purple hair and wearing tight silver suits).

2 Likes

The purple hair might be tricky given that they are likely to be Chinese Chinese Lunar Exploration Program - Wikipedia but IME they are very resourceful people, so attractive and silver-clad should be well within reach should they so wish.

VB

No, no no. It has to be beige terylene flares and platforms. Nothing else is correct attire for the Moon. Nothing.

There has to be a hot shape shifter too…

I was drawn to…

2 Likes

Ah, Nick’s sis. Yes, I can definitely see where you’re coming from there. A bit before my time though.

1 Like

That’s brilliant, delighted one nation at least is planning to go back.
Hopefully it also means by the time I can get there on a tourist flight the takeaway will have been sorted.

As indeed was I. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I say this in all seriousness… actually preferred her in Crossroads.

I had a REAL thing for Gabrielle.

1 Like

Just bought this.

Excellent book, you’ll enjoy it.

1 Like

“A Man on the Moon” by Andrew Chaikin is also fantastic.

1 Like

Threads like this remind me of Gully Foyles speech to the common man in ‘The stars my destination’

“You pigs, you. You rut like pigs, is all. You got the most in you, and you use the least. You hear me, you? Got a million in you and spend pennies. Got a genius in you and think crazies. Got a heart in you and feel empties. All a you. Every you…”

and then I feel sad.

Then I look at purple haired chain mesh UFO woman and feel a bit better. Oink.