Recommendations for family hol in Scotland

Staying with friends in Edinburgh in early August and thought we’d morph it into a two week holiday. We will have the car.

Current thoughts are drive up to Oban stopping one night on the way and then rent a cottage in Colonsay, which seems like it would be lovely, but we haven’t booked it yet, so any other thoughts/recommendations gratefully received…

We stayed in Oban last year and there isn’t a lot to do, apart from get a boat.

We enjoyed our time on mull and Iona which you can get to from Oban

Yes, we only planned to get the ferry from Oban

Day trek around Kerrera, as much as anything for the ferry experience.

If you’re up for a walk or two then it’s hard to beat Skye imho.

Going up the Cullin is serious business, but a walk into the centre of the range is pretty straightforward and the views are stunning.

There’s also the Old Man of Storr and the Quiraing.

1 Like

Last month, we were in Annan for a week, fantastic.

Clearly a bit far from Edinburgh to be viable if you’re wishing to visit your friends daily, but the place we rented was fantastic.

https://www.scottish-cottages.co.uk/southern-scotland/dumfries-galloway/dornock-brow-cottage-cc537161

Keeping my eyes open on this thread as I am always on the look out for other places to venture to.

Skye can get awfully busy in the summer. Stunning place though.

Check the midge thing.

VB

Ben if your heading for Oban from Edinburgh what route are you taking ? If you want an an excellent scenic route then overnight in Glasgow or Greenock and head up from there.

The route we use on the bikes is a cracker although not much in the way of entertainment for the kids en-route when they get bored by the scenery :grinning:

this year we were going to catch train to glasgow , then train to Ardrossan to go to isle of arran for 2 days . then up to mull and over to tobermory

changed plans but isle of arran is magic , having been before

Indeed Phil - this is a classic day out on the bike

1 Like

Funzie

How old are your kids? Are they ‘active’?

6 & 9, v active…

Bit far from Edinburgh :grinning:

If you’re going for a few days and up for a bit more driving then Ullapool and beyond, particularly the Altandu / Achiltibuie / Summer Isles coastline, is very beautiful and not as well known / busy as places further south. (think Local Hero) We had a fantastic week there a few years ago, and there’s lots to do outdoors - corollary is there’s less to do if the weather is foul…

2 Likes

with an excellent pie shop in Lochinver on the way up

Is Mrs Bolts joining you, and are you taking all your camera gear?

Active Kids / Scotland screams Aviemore or Mull and not driving half the country, but Bolts in Scotland screams Buachaille Etive Mor, Torridon and the Old Man of Stor

Yes the current Mrs Bolts will be accompanying me plus les enfants.

Camera gear will probably occupy more space than those three.

Good call; I’d love to do the wilder parts but I suspect you’re right I should go for the more family-friendly options.

Thanks all, researching away and will let you know the outcome.

1 Like

Edinburgh has a perfectly serviceable airport. Park the car there and board a plane to a proper holiday destination? :slight_smile: