Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

where from?

Have you got the other half of the album. I’m guessing it was a twin spool release

Ebay jobbie from the US, expensive postage and charges but low priced to begin with. Need to find a Murrican friend to help with delivery.

I think this got mentioned at Jim’s, the track listing on R2R is frequently different and on top of that I’ve not seen a double reel edition.

Songs in the key of life is a double album, that tape is the 1st LP I just wonder if the 2nd LP came on a second tape - due to tape length?

2 Likes

From Wiki. It’s an interesting point. I haven’t yet seen any double albums on two tapes.

I know, just not seen any mention of a vol2, nor reference to the fact that this might be vol 1 of 2.

I’ve got quite a few 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 tapes to play on my Revox A77. Trouble is the seller of said tape deck stitched me up good and proper and sold it to me with a dead channel. I replaced the card but it needs setting up. This thread has pushed me to email Brian Reeves to get it booked in. Looking forward to getting it sorted now.

1 Like

List please :nerd_face:

Apparently it was released as two separate tapes
R11 6569 And R12 6569

2 Likes

This is the guy I got the TEAC from. He also services Revox

2 Likes

3 Likes

Most of the 3 3/4 have never been played.

The Gerry Mulligan meets Johnny Hodges is a great LP. Would like to hear that tape. I have the Sarah Vaughan ones & one other of hers. Which are the 7.5 ips ones? the Motown stuff?

Yes the Motown collections. I haven’t bought any tapes for ages as my A77 needs setting up. I’m still quite annoyed with the seller to be honest, he’s well known on the forums…

Might have a simmer sizzler at some point for a handful of folks (tape based). Could be fun.

3 Likes

One tip I heard for tapes that haven’t been played for a while was to FF them to the other end & then rewind them back to the start before playing them. might be worth doing with some of your unplayed ones. (or even all of them if they’ve been unused for a while)

Interesting, for what reason?

Not sure. Maybe so that your machine lays them down with it’s tension or to free them up if the layers have a tendency to be sticking together. I don’t really know. it was just some advice on a youtube film I watched.

Cool thanks I’ll remember that.