Room treatment shenanigans

I’ve got a DDRC-24 you’re welcome to borrow as I’m not using at the moment, it has the Dirac live software included so you don’t have to fuck about with calculating the settings yourself.

I bought it for Vinyl but the ADC in it actually reduces the quality of the sound compared to not using it.

1 Like

We haven’t found the DDRC-24 to reduce quality.

I tried electronic controls and could not accept the result tho machine was displaying super result. I found a bung in bass port was more helpful but put extra fat easy chairs/ sofa in the room and a thick mat and was happy . Also a thick tapestry opposite wall to the large screen Loadssa books/ records shelving, trimmed sub ,thick curtains with linings and blinds , sloping angle reflectors work ( eg pent ceilings, slope sided spks)It’s not tidy but loved ! On reflection I remember that I listened whilst slowly walking down the sound path and identified the offensive vibe recurred at about 800-600 MM intervals/banding . I placed the speaker fronts at around 350 Mm from end wall ( half the interval ) [ these are BW DM2a with no rear port) . cancellations at certain frequencies then occur I’m told —anyway it works here and cost nothing . Good luck .

I have some acoustic panels, you can borrow, if you want to try them.

1 Like

I have made improvements with the GIK panels, really worth a try in your situation :+1:

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Gregg I will have a read up on the miniDSP. I have put the graphic back in the pre power chain and its sounding really good at the mo. As a workaround for now it’s doing a great job.

Is that using the analogue input though, I found it was ok on digital but made analogue sound lifeless?

No. We are both using digital.

Lete know if you want to borrow it again.

1 Like

When I had this problem my best results were achieved using a high pass filter in the tape loop of my amp - actually nothing more than a single polystyrene capacitor per channel. The caps were 1% tolerance.

This sounded more natural to me than attempting to notch out low frequencies using a software equaliser. You can use PartSim to get an idea of values. The 20K is the input impedance of the tape loop.

Have a try with the panels on offer - see if it’s the way you wish to go.

If so, one approximation of standing an abbatoirist into the room corner is…
(free standing, not wall mounted.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Acoustics-Corner-Standing-Acoustic/dp/B00BW4RCBI

Please do Nick, they’re gathering dust and taking-up space, and be good to see you :+1:

Is the bass issue with the speakers much worse than when you had them on the opposite side before your house refurbishment?
Didn’t seem to be a major bass issue the last time I heard your system and you had been very happy with the speakers for a good couple of years.

Best solution is to move to a house with a decent listening room.:grin:

You’re welcome to borrow and try out my GIK Tri-Trap corner bass traps.

It’s not really any different to before Paul. Nothing major but I’m trying to fine tune I suppose. Feel free to pop over and see what you think.

You should look in to this solution. Your floors are all wrong.
Maybe get some Townshend speaker stands and move it all in to the front room.

The living room is smaller than my existing music room and the ceilings are much lower downstairs and what with sofa’s, armchairs and a massive TV etc there s no room for hifi.

I’m very happy having the dedicated room upstairs and it has pretty good acoustics imo.

Best solution is to find a nice rich woman who lets me move myself and my hifi in - got any tips!!:grin:

2 Likes

Grow a bigger dick and get a different face?

5 Likes

I meant Nick’s. Not yours. Yours is just lovely. Nick’s house is rubbish. Tis the floors. And he needs to sit another yard away from the speakers. And the speakers are all wrong really. Bit shouty.

Fair enough - Nicks system is a bit shit really.:wink:

I’d still be an utter cunt though.:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes