Room treatment shenanigans

Far too busy trying to have a system people might think is cool. Ditch the Io and that belt driven nonsense for a start.
And then there are those hideous speakers.

Then you’re not really toyboy material then :kissing:

And bmtell is?:open_mouth:

Be that bluddy-awful Karan amp :poop:

The lad needs to get hisself some nice ol’ Musical Fidelity in there :+1:

1 Like

Thought i would give them a try Adam.
Bouncey :grinning:

2 Likes

I hope you are also suspended on springs :+1:

Boing! said Zebedee…

2 Likes

Concrete floor, and what of the walls are they brick/block or timber stud? And the ceiling?

If it’s bass resonance issues then foam panels is not the answer.

1st step is to locate the speakers and listening seat to best avoid standing waves, next step is LF absorption, which are often triangle items to go across corners.

1 Like

They look fun …

3 Likes

It’s a flat roof extension with brick walls and patio door at one end. I can’t really alter the listening position. The speaker s fire across the room which is quite narrow so I’m limited with how far they can be placed away from a rear wall.

sub 200Hz the roof and patio doors should offer some absorption, but the rest will be non-absorbing, so there is a chance you are getting LF energy build up as the modes wont be absorbed much

If you cant move the speakers, then you either need speakers which don’t excite the room modes, a bunch of LF absorption, or digital box to notch filter the mode frequencies down.

if the speakers are along the long wall, try this as a quick and dirty test.

• measure the length of the wall behind the speakers - corner to corner
  • work out 23% of this, and move the speakers so the centre of the bass driver is this distance from the outside wall.

if they must be backed against the wall, then you will get room gain, otherwise try pulling them out to 23% of the length of the short wall - again measured form the centre of the bass driver.

its a quick and dirty way of finding a reasonably benign location for the speakers. have a listen and see what you think. if there is an improvement, you know it is room modes and not speakers.

for LF absoprtion you would need something like these in the corners:

or
http://www.rpgeurope.com/products/product/modexcorner.html

or possibly the tube traps MAX is selling off
http://www.midlandaudiox-change.co.uk/main/picture.asp?picture=tuning.jpeg&Id=4039&ProdName=Tube^Trap&ManufName=ASC&Desc=our%20demo%20units%204%20large%20bass%20traps%20price%20is%20each%20REDUCED%20&OPrice=680&SPrice=249&Comments=

if you want to go DIY then a tuned panel absorber is the way forward :open_mouth:

best of luck

2 Likes

Have these made any difference?

Yes - the speakers have just toppled over and now they don’t produce any sound so the bass issue is resolved - Yay!!:grin:

I did think it was a bit early in the year for spring.

1 Like

From my favourite cartoon series as a child, but who else can remember what it was?

hmmm…

Coil-man!

1 Like

Hard to say but I think so however it doesn’t resolve the issue at specific frequencies. I need time to experiment a bit but too much work on at the moment.

I have an xtz room measurement thingummy if you want a borrow.

The Impossibles