Royal Wedding Thread

I don’t really mind the royal family. I think that they are great for tourism, and tbh they must have a really shit life, constantly watched, obliged to do loads of boring stuff and never free to do their own thing.

I begrudge much more the slightly lower landed gentry, say the Duke of Westminster. They get the castles, wealth in offshore trusts, that kind of shit but don’t have anything like the coverage that they royal family does, and don’t have the same obligations. They’re all upside, and we let it happen.

Be careful what you wish for. The Presidency is Ireland really only became fully credible/palatable with Mary Robinson. Prior to that it provided a rest home for former rebels like de Valera, Fianna Fáil party hacks of dubious intellectual and moral merit like Hillery and sundry drunks such as Costello.

Robinson was the first non-FF president and did fabulous work to de-politicise the role following Hillery’s term of office (included such highlights as refusing the request of the PM to dissolve parliament because an election in 1982 might have lead to a heavy defeat for Fianna Fáil). A particular low point in the history of Irish presidents was provided by John A. Costello who got roaring drunk at a dinner in Canada in 1948 and announced that Ireland was to leave the Commonwealth after other attendees annoyed him. This then had to be hurriedly ratified ex-post by the Irish Parliament.

There is a large body of support for removing the role of President in Ireland. Prior to the current President’s election in 2011, polls suggested that the majority saw the role as a waste of time and money as it is almost entirely ceremonial.

Getting things back on topic…

3 Likes

This is what y’all should be supporting - there’s about 100 gigs all over the country. We’re playing the one at The Grapes in Hereford. Starts at 2 and we’re on at 3.20.

2 Likes

Saw this the other day @LeonardSmalls and thought you might approve:

:smirk:

6 Likes

http://internationaltimes.it/im-your-father-now-trump-tells-meghan/

1 Like
3 Likes

The only wedding I will be watching this weekend is Sheldon’s and Amy’s from the Big Bang Theory.

1 Like

My Mrs and daughter are upstairs getting ready - putting in their make-up and “wedding outfits”

They’re only watching it on telly ffs :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

I don’t really care and will not be watching it, with all the shit publicity the UK has been getting recently, at least this is something a fair chunk of the global population will enjoy watching and see us in a positive light.
Good luck to them both.

I don’t get the hate.

It’s what we do best here and I have not a bad word to say about it.
Proper street party.

1 Like

I’m fixing spring catches to a restored cupboard.
Apparently, I’m making too much noise :roll_eyes:

Perhaps now’s the time to take up playing the bagpipes?

1 Like

I have been in trouble for saying ‘M’eh-feckin’-eh!’ too loudly when invited to join the ladies to see the dress. My neighbour is in similar trouble and has been dispatched to mow his lawn.

I got a row for general royal knocking, saying how much better the 300 odd million would be if spent to open a hospital or helping the homeless. I have been instructed to keep my thoughts to myself for the rest of the day. Which sounds like a good excuse to shut myself in the hifi room for the day.

2 Likes

It transpired that my MiL was talking to my wife while they were watching the Wedding. She is in Melbourne and wasn’t impressed with my expressions of apathy. Now I am in trouble for upsetting the Strayans and for complaining about paying for the pleasure too.

:grin:

3 Likes

Christ, who cares about upsetting the shackledraggers?!

3 Likes

There’s always something better to spend the money on…

We will get that all back in tourism.

That yank went on a bit. Her Maj didn’t look impressed.

It is 2018. We ought to be further forward than celebrating & worshipping folk whose only claim to fame is being born , as mentioned in the Pie clip above, out of the correct vagina…

4 Likes

It is dead easy to be brave when they are far, far away from you.

I notice @MGOwner is absent from discussions today, no doubt due to the fact he is crocheting Royal Wedding beer mats (a fetching shade of ginger with a thin bit in the middle) and standing to attention every time her Maj is on the telly.

4 Likes