Rugby A Game For Gentlemen

I agree from an attacking perspective but defending is a team activity and he doesn’t seem to be a strong mentally as some of the other options. I’d love to see him given a run of games in an England shirt.

Is he any worse at defending than Yarde or Nowell? I think not.

Maybe they turn up on time and give it full gas in training? :wink:

1 Like

Looking at the sides, ABs by 20 - 30 points. They will want to make a point and Lions have weaknesses in the front 5.

Apart from a genuine length of the field try, we have kicked the ball away and bounced off the gain line compared to team who just off load through ours.

We need territory and some sustained play. Helps if you don’t box kick it to the opposition

Our backs have looked dangerous and OF composed, but we don’t have the front foot as much and end up slowing down and kicking

This is turning in to a great test match.
The lions looked under the cosh but what an amazing try!

They have double carries. Double gain. And half the tackles.

That has to change for us to get close.

1 Like

Yes, the Lions need far more possession and need to play the game in the AB’s half for a while.

1 Like

Lions back three are superb!

NZ are just a bit better at the basics.

I don’t understand Farrell at 12, just not working. Daly had a mare, I can see North back for the two other tests. Kicking the ball away to NZ just plays into their hands. Do what the ZAs do and beat them through the middle. Rubbish tactics for me.

Yep.

And when we have a half back that snipes quick and doesn’t boot away…

We score

Our forwards aren’t skilled enough to gain and continue with pace. We have the backs to damage but we just need some quicker breaks and recycle.

When NZ go they just keep attacking until it’s all over and they are well forward and done for, then they kick and get territory.

When we go we fade out then kick a hopeful hifi ball and usually give back.

Is this a new forum thing?

My spell check adapts to forum content

If Warburton plays we are fucked. If Alun Wyn Jones plays we are fucked. If we keep kicking it to them we are fucked.

My side to play 2nd test;

Vinipola
George
Furlong
Itoje
Lawes
O’Mahoney ©
O’Brien
Faletau
Webb
Sexton
Watson
Te’o
Daly
Seymour
Williams

bench

Sinckler
Marler
Best
Kruis
Tipuric
Murray
Farrell
Nowell

Note that Daly is a 13, plays at 13 for 95% of his matches and has been a 13 since he was a kid. He is not a winger and we lost a try because his positioning was out.

1 Like

I like Webb, but I do see his strength as a sub, or finisher if you want to go all modern.

He’s strong, and can break the gain line and speed up play at breakdowns.

Lawes for George is a yes but I think he will stick with the two that finished the game. I’d stick Daly on the bench and revert to the usual centre pairing and some proper wingers.

We will still lose unless we hold on to the ball, and get ahead. And stay ahead. We need to dominate possession as much as we can.

1 Like

You mean Lawes for Jones?? I would agree with Bob’s selection except Farrell for Sexton, Joseph for Daly and Daly for Seymour who would then drop out of the match day squad.
The hope is a bit of complacency from the ABs and another occasion when they struggle with northern hemisphere refereeing!

British and Irish Lions:

L Williams (Wales), A Watson (England), J Davies (Wales), O Farrell, E Daly (both England), J Sexton, C Murray (both Ireland), M Vunipola, J George (both England), T Furlong (Ireland), M Itoje (England), AW Jones, S Warburton (both Wales, capt), S O’Brien (Ireland), T Faletau (Wales).

Replacements: K Owens (Wales), J McGrath (Ireland), K Sinckler, C Lawes (both England), CJ Stander (Ireland), R Webb (Wales), B Te’o, J Nowell (both England).

All Blacks:

I Dagg; W Naholo, A Lienert-Brown, S B Williams, R Ioane; B Barrett, A Smith; J Moody, C Taylor, O Franks, B Retallick, S Whitelock, J Kaino, S Cane, K Read (capt).

Replacements: N Harris, W Crockett, C Faumuina, S Barrett, A Savea, TJ Perenara, A Crruden, N Laumape.

We are going to get humped.

I agree looking at that! Wrong combinations in every part of the team!

O’Mahoney not even on the bench and Warburton starting!!! Teo on the bench and Sexton starting. I thought he had picked a decent team last week that just needed tweaking at scrum half and second row, but this is a knee jerk reaction back to his out of form Welsh favourites that he largely avoided in the first test.