Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Yours didn’t ready have bass, though.

Indeed, the TP1’s are back loaded and the horn fairly long - The semi interesting part of these is that the PM3’s were designed for the TP1’s (Not sold separately) they are a fair lump and (encased) with the port fitting the mouth of the Back horn) I’m sure some bass assistance will be required. First these things need a ruddy good run…,

I once visited someone based on a strange* island to the East of Sweden called Bornholm. He used a pair of TP1’s and listened almost exclusively to Jazz & some chamber music. He had no need for thumping bass capability & felt that the TP1’s gave him better results for those types of music than anything else he’d tried. Having heard them I could see how he’d come to that conclusion. Immediate with great reproduction of tone they’d have made most other speakers sound horrifically limited, slow & coloured.

*Bornholm was strange as, at that time, pre 1989, it was the Easternmost part of NATO defended areas. Indeed the guy worked at one of the early warning radar stations there. If anything (ie ICBM’s) were going to be flying over from that direction, they’d have detected it first. They also knew that they’d be instant toast if anything did kick off so the black humour prevalent there had to be heard & seen to be believed. And by all accounts there were a few ‘nearly’ moments.

3 Likes

They went down into the 30s, so not bad. I’d generally trade fast bass for the lowest octave, although not in a Naimy way…

I reckon my Acapellas are a good compromise - they go down to 25hz, but it’s still fairly quick and not too fruity :+1:

You need a nice LP12 then Jim to redress the balance :wink:

Had one from about 1980 to 1990 - then I discovered the Oracle Delphi :grinning:

4 Likes

Lowthers, bass, whoooaa ha, ha, ha, :joy:

2 Likes

ASR Mini Basis phonostage.

4 Likes

Another one of these lovely things.

5 Likes

Had one of those on my old LP12. Lovely.

My old one is on my bedroom system TT of Linn LP12/Lingo/Ekos/Troika and it sounds bloody good via a Whest phono stage.

I guess I should try it with the Naim bolt down amps I have.

Also had one on a LP12/Ittok into a Prefix and is a great cart, probably the only good thing Linn (supex) made :slight_smile:

All I need is a NAXO 2 way and another bolt down NAP160 and I could go active ARC 050 with Naim and Linn, bring back the 1980’s. :joy:

Having not had a home system for over 3 years (baby+ death wish vintage gear was vetoed by el heffe) It’s great to have some sounds about the house today. The Heco Ascada 2.0’s are more versatile than I need, I just wanted to run them off Bluetooth and yes they are positioned poorly in the designated space - I care not. They are a giant gentleman’s leap from the built in Mac speakers I’ve been suffering at home - they fit the criteria perfectly

9 Likes

Off to London to pick it up Saturday,not looking forward to the drive

I’ve got ya go Dagenham Sunday, do you think you can move it to Sunday and double up or if it’s on the way I can pick up for you??

Picking up the h6’s

While doing an event earlier this year I met the chap from Vinyl Passion who kindly gave me one of his dust buster devices. This is a little plastic potted gel which you can park next to your platter such that the stylus can pay it a visit before going onto the record. Since then I’d forgotten about it but today I remembered he’d given it to me & attached it to the SP10 just next to the platter. It’s a perfect height there. On other decks you might need a cylinder or something beneath it to put it to the right height. Anyhow, the bottom line is that it seems very effective with just the right amount of tackiness to remove clag. When I spoke to him he did say they’d done a lot of work with some Uni to get the formulation & tackiness right as too much could allow a diamond to be ripped out of its cantilever. Anyhow it works well & is recommended.

2 Likes

Cheaper version of the Onzow zero dust