Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

What, so you could play records at 250 rpm and make everything sound like Mickey Mouse?

Use a smaller pulley and it will be ffinneee.

Do like, a lot, albeit you need a test bench the size of the Ark Royal to accommodate it! :heart_eyes:

Yeah, this is a problem. The thing is purely convectively cooled - no fans. The fundamental design principle seems to have been ‘the customer will pay for any amount of silicon’. So the pass element in the regulator is made up of these http://uk.farnell.com/solid-state/2n5240/transistor-npn-300v-5a-to3/dp/1863001. Fifty-four of them, in banks of nine spread over six large aluminium heatsink plates. They’re all inside the cabinet and that makes it BIG. Mrs VB is pretty tolerant. But when the new toy appeared in the kitchen last night, well, let’s just say my sixth sense for her feelings, finely tuned over 30 years of marriage, detected a trace of, um, displeasure.

So when it came to testing it this morning I thought I’d better do it outside. Apparently it hasn’t been powered up for at least a decade so there was some chance of explosions, smoke, mess etc. Somehow it felt like the kitchen would have been the wrong place for that to happen.

In the end it was fuss-free. Here it is driving two 200 watt mains lamps in series - 480V, 0.88A (so actually 420W total). Voltage and current limits both work.

VB

6 Likes

The Precious Thing works! :heart:

adequate

I see you nicked @Jim’s turntable stand

6 Likes

:grin:.

The supply weighs a bit more than 35kg so I felt an Ikea Lack side table re-purposed as an equipment rack might struggle.

VB

Proud Dad?

1 Like

What is the purpose of this monster ?

I’m not certain what it’s original purpose was. I got it from a chap who had an interest in amateur radio but I think he simply rescued it from disposal by an electronics company who were scrapping it. He didn’t really have an immediate need for it, and it then turned out he didn’t have a long term need for it either. He’s nearing retirement now and has just moved to a smaller house so needs the space. It cost me a bottle of Rioja.

I’m planning to use it as a general purpose bench supply. It’s got a current-limiting feature which can be handy in some types of fault-finding.

VB

You should make the smallest valve amp you can, and use it as the HT supply.

2 Likes

Jim’s?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that gif is going to get used in a whole range of new ways given recent revelations :confounded:

3 Likes

I like to be current.

2 Likes

I like to be voltage.

VB

2 Likes

I like to be resistant

1 Like

I like to be reactive

1 Like

I like to be capacitive.

Actually that really doesn’t work does it…?

:thinking:

2 Likes

Good idea. A headphone amp perhaps, or a line-level pre.

I have an almost equally humungous 0-30V 10A lump which would do for the LT and if I wanted to make the whole lot portable (ha, ha) I could run both the supplies off my 1kVA mains synthesiser which is powered by two large lead acid leisure batteries, weighing in at 24kg each.

VB

1 Like

Bring it to lopwell