Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

You just have very small hands :wink:

3 Likes

Three phase speaker cables…!

Who’d a thunk that? :grinning:

Shush - trade secret!!! :zipper_mouth_face:

Looking forward to picking up my revamped H6s on Tuesday. Headphones for the last six weeks I don’t want to repeat that exercise again. I’ve also got a Decca export I bought from Stu back from john Wright, I’m hoping it’s a good match for my moerch arm

3 Likes

Look forward to hearing it all in a few weeks

i found the netflix on the tv was lagging so i had the bridge to boost signal , unfortunately the bridge died and the boost certainly seems to do the job.

wow , well done . i saw those and thought , how the heck will he sell that colour

Is Serge on here ?

Pair of NOS 1980’s Reflektor 6h30p-DR tubes for the preamp, were in unopened boxes.

2 Likes

How the fuck did you get them out then?

5 Likes

:wink:

1 Like

A quick update on the Zu Definition 2

Early impressions are very positive. Placed about a foot from the wall with generous toe-in and the bass amps set at 12 o’clock (as per the manual), they initially fooled me into thinking they were a bit light in the bass…

Nope, not so. If there isn’t any bass in the recording, you won’t hear any bass (Captain Obvious…). The Zus go very deep, and the low end simply breathes - there’s no sense of anything being forced.

The presentation is refreshing - really natural. no shiny treble, no boosted mids and definitely no supercharged bass. They strike me as fundamentally honest. And they go very, very loud without breaking a sweat. Stupidly, senselessly loud (I couldn’t resist).

Did I mention that they are purple? They are.

Some tweaking of the bass level via the rear pots is called for, but I’m very happy thus far. The 250 wpc provided by my Gato is way beyond overkill here though. I reckon my old AI Second Audios would be purring at the thought of driving these beauties.

Anyone wanna buy some nice Impulse H2s?

4 Likes

Aren’t they actives?

Just re read,amps power the woofers

Yes - makes them easy work for an amp. The seller included a Crown power amp which he used in place of the built-in ones. Apparently, this opens up a whole world of room correction possibilities. I know nowt about that, but might look into it a bit further down the road. My room is a bloody nightmare acoustically.

Chuffed for you. Sounds like we’ve both arrived at a similar conclusion via very different means, speaker-wise.

Ain’t no replacement for displacement :+1:

Indeed. I no longer see the point in speakers that only tell half the story - yes, there are some lovely standmounters about, and they do this and that really well, but meh, just meh…

Like reading a book with half the pages torn out.

When a recording plumbs the depths, the pit of the stomach is just as important a receptor as the ears.

All else is just bollocks IMHO.

3 Likes

Exceptionally well-put :+1:

In fairness, my predilection for bass may be connected to my inability to hear much above the frequency of a moderately squeaky fart.

1 Like

Given the advancing years of most of us that’s hardly unusual - though tipping the sonic balance in favour of the bass will tend to have the opposite effect subjectively and make the treble seem more recessed and the sound warmer and woollier, so there’s certainly more going on.

Heard Zu Druids a couple of times - nice fast, crisp sound, imagine these will be better rounded but just as quick and lively.

No it’s not - why would you read a book with half the pages torn out?

Personally, I wouldn’t even start reading it. :laughing:

1 Like