Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Not off top of my head I’m afraid, I’ll have to dig out an invoice.

No rush, just wondered as I have a similar job to do myself sat in the garage!

I think it included a full crossover rework too, there arnt many drivers that are drop ins for the focals. I could probably come up with a new crossover mind if you let me have the speakers for a bit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This. It needs a new surround to be fitted and crossover work. Wasn’t necessarily cheap but definitely worth it.

2 Likes

I’ve just found the old thread on the place that can’t be mentioned…

A certain Mr. Edd recommended a AUDAX TW025M0 to me :slight_smile:

Audax are nice. Used in lots of BBC stuff.

1 Like

Very nice phono stage that :+1:

Am impressed so far. Will continue with a few favourite LPs tonight, and maybe indulge in some music enhancers (beer) to augment the listening experience.

3 Likes

Looks like it doesn’t it?

It’s looks it from that picture but it isn’t.

If only there was some photographic evidence

How has the sound changed from your other room?

I’ll take a photo tomorrow.

Vague soundstage but plenty of grunt and presence. No depth as in 3D which i get in the other room, but that’s much more near field.

Nearfield vs. “distant” must be the single most under-explored topic in setting-up domestic audio.

To be fair most of us listen more-or-less nearfield because we live in poky little British houses, but IME and IMO most box loudspeakers sounds best nearfield i.e. <3m from the listening position (usually quite a bit less than 3m).

The Singing Fridges are 2.5m from my listening position.

2 Likes

A very fine 50s Do-Wop ensemble, but went off the rails in the 60s what with Flower Power and drugs n stuff

2 Likes

Your set-up, like you, is wider than it is deep :+1:

:laughing:

I agree, and I much prefer listening near field. I’m much happier with my current setup, and I’m less than 2m away from the speakers.

Nearfield listening tends to be far more punchy and dynamic but imaging suffers - you normally only get a great image if you’re sitting dead-centre. (hence my liking for the sweet-spot)