Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Toe them in

haha nice try, last time I had them toed in you said toe them out.

Nope. I would never suggest that. In the past I said they were too close to the corners and/or the back wall, but NEVER toed out

Ah, thought you were in wind up mode.

Toeing them in so they point at me fucks up the soundstage again so that vocals seem to come from very low down.

Have now got them toed in so they crossover about 2-3 feet behind me and sounds better.

Really want to prefer these over the Obs as they will sell in 10 minutes but just not sure if I do at the moment.

No wind up, Chris.

I’ve not experienced what you describe, but I was listening near field across a small room. Time will tell what I find in the new room which is twice as big, at least, and they will be firing down the room.

I had them about 9 ft from me before and they did sound much better, I could imagine they would sound fantastic in a bigger room.

got one of these on the way next weekend (well fetching it from Germany) and wanted to better understand the lead requirements - any clues on what leads to buy to try the male XLR -

SUT has rca inputs so I need RCA to XLR pair I guess for that

CD / DAC is also RCA so ditto above

XLR out to but a longer lead as my power amp is currently further away but may move that to shorten all leads

any recommendations would be great

cheers
darren

1 Like

I don’t think XLR cables vary as long as they are well made but I got some of these for my pre > alephs and they arrived quickly from this seller:

They also sell the XLR to RCA cables

Finally tracked the preamp down, and after a tiresome trip to the Birmingham depot and now it’s unboxed.

Basically I have a matching preamp which is the size of an integrated amp :grinning:.

Switched the voltage on the back and now turning the house upside down to find a plug adapter.

6 Likes

Looks very interesting. What exactly is that Darren?

Thomas Mayer pre-amp.

Darren
Isn’t it a line stage, so why mention your SUT?

You have 2 rca inputs, just use those. If it is similar to his other designs, the xlr inputs have transforners inside to convert from balanced to se for the gain stage.

output is from the autoformer but it is essentially an SE design so rca input is fine. XLR input best used if you have sources with proper balanced outputs

Looking good :+1:

![P4|690x418]
(upload://lfb7RTqGDYwqEJZTpq1nCJg087y.jpg)

11 Likes

good point simon - forgot the phono comes after the sut for a moment:slight_smile:

thanks big L - will order a few of the XLR to RCA

dunno much about balanced and what this means but my premier 350 only has rca inputs so pseudo balanced seems to be the order or the day - ditto my tuner which is a proper old school sansui

what valves does it use Darren?

801a 10y or 45 I believe

New old preamp plugged in and powered up.

Bit of contact noise to be sorted out, and when first switched on it sounded bloody awful/ broken :tired_face:. Left it playing for a bit and it seems to have calmed down and started to sound decent.

6 Likes

It might have been me amusing myself yesterday…

Lots of positioning changes and I think they needed a loosening up as they had been in the spare room for a while but they do sound bloody good with the Alephs.

Looks like I may be able to pay the tax bill now as they are staying and the Obs will be going :slight_smile:

1 Like