Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Played it for quite a few hours yesterday. Maybe it was switching from one voltage to another, maybe it was the transit, but it did sound broken when I first powered up. By the end of the day it was singing. Combined with the MA-5’s the whole thing sounds fab and quite extraordinary for the modest money I’ve paid for the set.

7 Likes

They are VERY amp fussy. I tried all sorts of power amps, 300B, 845, EL34 amongst other valve amps. Lots of SS amps too, without ever getting the best out of the Primes.

Until the @coco SIT Mk II arrived, of course. Low output impedance was one of Pete’s recommendations and design goals. He was right, naturally.

Sounded lovely at Scalford a few years ago,was that with the SIT amp?

1 Like

No we used Guy’s Hiraga after he kindly offered to loan it to me. The SIT wasn’t finished then.

But yes, the Hiraga did a good job driving them.

2 Likes

Fixt

1 Like

Possibility 1: Electrolytic caps that haven’t been used in ages need to “form” - if they’re used at voltages/currents/temps close to max, they form in seconds or fractions thereof, but of course most are used in circuits where they’re orders of magnitude overrated for the conditions they’ll be used in, so re-forming can take a while.

Possibility 2: The magic foo pixies had all left home while the power was off and the amp was mouldering, cold, barren and unloved in someone’s garage, and what with all the overseas travel, it took them a while to find their way home again.

I think we can all agree that 2 is likeliest…

6 Likes

It’s also very easy to tell that it’s a class product - the power on LED is red rather than retina gouging blue :+1:

1 Like

Let us know what you think, always fancied one as they are supposed to be a great match for Senn 600/650. Guessing you bought pre-built.

I would move the pre, as how often are you going to kick it when using the TT?

It does sit a little further back tbh. Haven’t come close to kicking it so far.

The plan is to run my Bluesound streamer through these. A simple low box count second system.
I can’t wait to see how the Gyro sounds through the analogue inputs. Don’t worry I’m not expecting much. Just trying to find an excuse to hang on to it :smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’ve got a pair of R1000TCN plugged into the telly. Very impressive for just under £60

Dug these out from the store for a warm through. Quite fun really the mids are lovely.

Scumbag interlude: Probably need to move these along £600 boxed.

5 Likes

Forgot you still had them

So did I! - Show me a stock taker and I’ll show you a dull man.

2 Likes

Show me a man who doesn’t know their stock and I will show you a man about to go bust.

3 Likes

Not when you factor in hifi dealer margins :wink:

1 Like

and naps.

2 Likes

Dealer Scum, Chapter 1 paragraph 1

The first scummy rule of business is to be in business.
The second rule is to repeat the first.

4 Likes