Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

I’d like to hear them anyway :+1:

1 Like

They aren’t speakers I’ve ever loved when I’ve listened to them, but they do a lot of things really well. I would like to live with a pair for a few months. And borrow an amp off Bob for them, I imagine!

1 Like

Have to confess they’re speakers close to the top of the “just don’t get it” list - ahead of Dynaudio and behind Naim’s speaker efforts…

The 300W Perreaux 3150 would be ideal.

Bah, about 60w would be fine, that’s 100db peak at 8 feet, so average of 85db, much more and its damaged ears.

Naim speakers are just crap. Dynaudio make some bostin’ speakers, the ATCs are sort of speakers stripped of fun or feeling for music. Detailed, yet bland and univolving. I currently have a pair of passive SCM20SL and I don’t feel the love, but a lot of people do. I much prefer my Dynaudio 42 to the ATCs.

1 Like

Funny, the only time I’ve really enjoyed Dyns was with Naim electronics.

ATC’s like bid powerful amps. Their own integrated amps start at 150w per channel.
I can’t imagine what kind of valve amp would drive them effectively.
They look nice,

60W :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

A lot of naimees use Dynaudio, a good mix in some ways, certainly the 42s and a lot better than Kans or N-Sats.

1 Like

There is no magic to it. Voltage = Decibels.

Music has a crest factor of 10-15db. Listen at 80 db you need 95db peak. Depending on how far you sit and sensitivity of the speaker, and the load (ohms) then you get the given power. You don’t magically use more unless you intend to go deaf.

Small room, 8 feet, 60w is fine. Sit at 12 feet. or want 105db peak per speaker for THX spec, and you are soon looking at 500w or melting the speaker :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want “grip” you need LOTS of watts.*

*Said lots of morons in ever year.

1 Like

You don’t have to imagine it. You can buy it

http://vtl.com/products/power-amplifiers/stereo-amplifiers/s-200-signature-stereo-amplifier/

I’d recommend the KT88 upgrade (actually, speaking personally, I’d recommend modding it to use KT90’s).

If 200 WPC might not be enough then go for the 450W monos

http://vtl.com/products/power-amplifiers/monoblock-amplifiers/mb-450-series-iii-signature-monoblock/

They promise 225 WPC in triode mode.

VB

They’re less efficient than other speakers I have but appear to play ok at my low levels which Linn Ninka’s never did, just turned the knob up a bit.

I feel like confessing so I have to admit to liking the Naim SBL’s I had, albeit with foo crossover
DSC_3605 by mark leatherland, on Flickr

2 Likes

As an aside, whoever built their website needs fucking shooting, there’s some downright crazy shit going on there.

Or these, 500 wpc from 84 6AS7G :heart_eyes:
IMG_2797

6 Likes

They belong in the mental thread :flushed:

1 Like

They’re not woolly enough

Just checked, previous owner had 140watt CJ , guess they were sufficient :-):sunglasses:

2 Likes

Surely if you need 400w amps to wake up the drive units it’s just a huge neon sign shouting what utterly shite loudspeakers you have chosen?

Don’t get me wrong I love the utter lunacy of the amps and feel they should pribaly be in the other thread tbh, but not in any way for potential musical reproduction

2 Likes