Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

I wonder who might have a pair of those?
Very rare I understand :grin:

Your normal Coco 300B’s are more than adequate. Are they behaving themselves now?

Must be an interesting gain structure with M7 & Second Audios. They are pretty sensitive at the input.

I have a dodgy connection on the XLR input on one of the amps probably not helped by hanging a big metal adapter on it now I only have RCA outputs from my new Pre.

Pete is coming down in a couple of weeks to fit new RCA sockets so I borrowed these from JezR (nice one Jez!) in the interim.

3 Likes

The on/off rotary switches are wrong, should be a push button in green, no light to say whether they are on or not.

Very few of them had the bulbs fitted in the coloured push button switches. (should be red on an SAA, matches the printing on the perspex) Perhaps the very early ones had bulbs. Not the later ones with 2A3’s. The green switch was on 800 power. S1000 monos had blue switches and First Audio yellow (although blue if yellow ran out!)

My First Audio had push button green non-lit switch, but it could have been changed. Anyway, Brian blew it up when he put the 2A3s in the wrong way :scream:

1 Like

Unfortunately the switches are unobtainium as far as I know, I got them with the rotary switches already fitted, I’ve had no problem with knowing if they’re on or off.

These ones have been back to Audio Note and repaired by Mike Pointer, one or more rectifiers had blown so had new metal clad ones put in, the Jensen coupling caps were a bit tired so had them replaced with Audio Note tin foils, power supply caps tested okay so left alone.

Perspex top plate and pegs are in a safe place.

The switches were made by Swiss company EA Olten who are still going although I don’t know if they still make that type.

http://products.eao.com/index.php?IdTreeGroup=63&reset

I couldn’t put back originals back even if I found some, to accommodate the rotary switches the front of the chassis has had a good reaming, the knobs are covering this up.

No I wouldn’t bother either. Just enjoy for what they are. The power switches don’t affect the performance.

How is the new arm? Much different to the earlier one?

It’s a step ahead in definition more body overall I need to have a tidy round and have an afternoon of proper listening. Your welcome over if your passing in the week?

1 Like

you’re

1 Like

You’re point is?

2 Likes

Aliens

That may be a little high for my current cart - best to go for a lighter headshell?

Logic tells me that might be the best way to minimise the unwanted effects of a somewhat-too-high effective mass - or is that too simplistic?

(I’m also trying to build up a ‘body of evidence’ to rationalise my deep seated need to buy an io now that I’m getting the FR… maybe I should instead buy a high-mass headshell to hasten the Music Maker’s relegation… hmmm)

This is the correct approach

If you’ve heard one and like what they do, the purchase is very rational (So long as budget and acceptance an appropriate SUT is required too)

Did you get the eBay one with stock photo’s? I was watching but too chicken to bid…

A step closer to the schumanator

3 Likes