Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Wowzers - that would be awesome Nick.
(I have another shelf I can add to the rack).:+1:

Valves, you know it makes sense :grinning:

Nice power amp :+1:

Happy to bring it to the bakeoff if you think it might suit the Fino’s - it is very quiet?

Though that is over 2 weeks away so it will probably have been sold to Crimsondonkey by then.:laughing:

1 Like

Sounds a good plan, sure a valve pre will appear.

1 Like

Didn’t Chelsea Dave say he’d bring his linestage.

Which one :smile:

Yes he did, lounge system taking shape

It’ll be interesting to hear how different it is to my DIY Aleph.

2 Likes

I will bring my Old Shoppe - ‘The Truth’ Line Stage and Shindo Giscours Pre if required.

Probably not much at all, if anything - but I prefered to buy the genuine article for ease of resale (given my previous history!!).

1 Like

Today I am trying a cost effective minimal option.
Spotify/Chromecast/Amptastic-Behringer/DIY OB’s
It’s workable for sure

£222 Amps and Chromecast - £460 speakers that’s it.

3 Likes

Pah! they’re not heatsinks…

these are heatsinks

14 Likes

All heat sinks, all the time.

1 Like

Didn’t do convection at school then?

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

But some sound better than others…

Quite different beasts the aleph and f5, best just find someone to build you an f5 (turbo… monoblocks).

1 Like

It’s been one of those weeks - I have sold loads of old bits of hi fi kit prepping for a probable move.
Then a I’m tempted by some new morsels - This is a Transconductance SE 300B power amp that was once a music angel amp rebuilt totally inside.

This is a seriously good match for my Alpair12p’s. Today I am in non Transconductance mode on it at the moment. In my room and system and ears this mode is open sounding like the Decware el84 amp but with a very clean treble and plenty of available power. I once had some Wellborne mono blocks and I am reminded of those when I listen - Detailed and refined. There is a little soldering to do to revert it to be in Transconductance I am told this is an improvement.
I am also told mesh plate 300B’s are a big improvement.

Update unsoldering exercise all done back up and running. This amp is something I had heard way back when I had Hedlund horns may have been 2005

V pleased with this purchase, I really am.

9 Likes

Might you be flogging those alephs Jim? Fancy trying a pair

Lovely cartridge thanks to Guy :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

This has been more than a revelation, it’s let me hear the best of my recent purchase too. Eagle eyed amongst you may remember that I recently pipped the dithering Thebiglebowski to a lovely Aurorasound Vida phono amp. Up until now I’d been a bit underwhelmed and couldn’t understand for the life of me why.

Anyway my previous cartridge is off for checking over and I was lucky enough to get the loan of the Hana SL above. Turns out it sounds quite fabulous and in turn has revealed what a wonderful and transparent amp that the Vida is.

Im enjoying my listening tonight :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes