Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Thanks to Nick I have a rather nice preamp (for a short while anyway).

A perfect match cosmetically and sonically. This Modwright is so transparent and open which really compliments the slight warmth and sweetness of the F5. Now I just need to win a few grand at Cheltneham in a couple of weeks so I can afford one.:grinning:

Also when I picked it up I heard Nicks new main system with his Karan pre/power - seriously impressive.:sunglasses:

8 Likes

How quiet is the LS36.5 as the LS100 I have is as hissy as a teenage girl who’s had her iphone taken away?

Thread hijack…Cheltenham thread required :grinning:

1 Like

The hissiness will depend on the input sensitivity of the power amp you hook it up to.

No hiss at all that I can hear? Do you mean hiss from the speakers - isn’t that down to the power amp, or at least a grounding issue between pre and power.

Yours came from the Emporium didn’t it.:roll_eyes:

I’m thinking the valves may also be on the way out as with nothing playing I get a constant hissing which occasionally turns into a louder brushing noise

The SJS 1.5 into the power amp was near silent and I’m not really impressed with the Modwright as it seems a bit closed in and doesn’t have the same soundstage or openness of the SJS, do like the remote though as I haven’t had one before.

Yep from Emporium, really should know better by now buying from him.

1 Like

Always loved the 36.5, really great pre. Bet it sounds fab with my next power amp😁

I’ll not be flogging them Darren, but you’re welcome to try them in the summer when I change over to a cool running amp.

I never had any noise from my LS100. Get the valves swapped out. What does it take I’ve forgotten. I may have some I can send you.

They look made for each other Paul. I will have to grab a listen sometime.

1 Like

It’s only a temp until the SJS is fixed but if you are happy to do a loan as I’d be interested to hear how good it can sound, happy to pay all postage costs and replace if damaged.

Think it uses 2x 6sn7 and can’t remember the rectifier off hand.

Just checked the manual and it’s a 5ar4 so I have a few of those going spare.

I’ve got 2 pairs of 6SN7s nothing fancy EHs and Tung-Sol but no 5A4R. If you want to try them pm me your address and I’ll post them out tomorrow.

1 Like

The Hana SL is rather good isn’t it!? I’m looking forward to pinching my Dads when he’s bored of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

winter and summer amps - now that is a good idea!!

trying them would be great if you don’t mind - save me buying a pair on spec, 2 days in august I recall was our summer last year so let me know when you do the switchover

1 Like

Based on my listening session last night it could be a long while before he gets bored of the Hana.

2 Likes

I took the 2M black MM out of the system last night and stuck the DL103R (!) in again, god it makes music even with it’s blunt rock of a stylus!

• List item

A used one of these would be nice.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=etsuro+urushi+blue+cobalt+mc+cartridges&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjor7y__qjSAhXhJ8AKHbznAvIQ_AUICCgC&biw=1024&bih=681#imgrc=5gmmU4Ck9Sw00M:

Very tarty!

Well not new, but put the Leben back in to the system after listening to a Quad 909 for a few weeks.

Also fitted KT120’s in place of winged el34’s - hence the makeshift spacers :blush:

11 Likes

What speakers are they Wayne?