Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Cheers Mark. EZ80 tube Mullard

Is it the S or SE version, is there likely to be much difference in sound between the versions?

SE version, with switchable USB and spdif inputs.

Is that CE certified? I would doubt it, as the valve is on show and doesn’t have a ‘cover’.

Don’t think the valves have to be covered for CE, Icon Audio amps have uncovered valves and have CE labels on the back.

There’s a can of worms Bob. CE marking is simply a statement by the manufacturer that the equipment complies with the ‘harmonised standards’. The latter are not completely prescriptive. I’ve not checked the exact wording recently in the relevant standards relating to the risk of burns (is that why you think the valve needs a cover ?). But I wouldn’t be surprised to find that the wording is rather general i.e. something along the lines of ‘must be designed and constructed for adequate protection against contact with components hot enough to burn the skin’.

Everything then hinges on the interpretation of the word ‘adequate’ which, if push should come to shove, would have to be decided in the courts. The courts will take into account the way that the equipment is normally used. They seem to have accepted that you don’t need to be protected from touching the traditional filament bulb in your Anglepoise lamp, or the surface of your electric iron. I’m not sure that the need for a cover over a hot thermionic valve has ever been tested in the courts. So the manufacturer might well feel that it’s just like a lightbulb really and therefore doesn’t need a cover. In that case he could put a CE mark on it in perfectly good faith.

VB

3 Likes

Okay so apparently you can’t put silver discs into the unit and make music by spinning them round.

However I have managed to hear some decent sounds by plugging a USB lead from my streamer instead.

Sounds quite good so far.

According to Bob. Any streaming, anyhow, simply sounds rubbish! He once referenced streamed FLAC files as only having parity with lossy ATRAC encoded mini-disk.

Go figure. For anyone not understanding what lossless actually entails. :smile:

I am watching Lemmy The Movie, so go fuck yourself. :rofl:

2 Likes

I would hope there is some Shakti stone interaction. Enhancing this further for you. :thumbsup:

1 Like

That hole looks like a bit of a dust trap.

1 Like

So is your drooling mouth :grinning:

2 Likes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-CE-WEE-Self-Adhesive-Sticker-Sticky-Labels-Size-15-x-10mm-/122515148427?hash=item1c8678ce8b:g:–IAAOSwm8VU1h-o

3 Likes

Are those from the same people that do the fire certificates for cladding manufacturers?

1 Like

As a general rule I don’t manufacture kit for sale, not least because of the difficulty of checking for compliance (have you read the EMC Directive ?). But very occasionally I do build the odd small thing. I have a sheet of those labels somewhere so I can avoid breaking the law.

VB

New sub £300 system, sold the Cantons, now Linn Kan mk1 with Nytech CA302 and Marantz. Sounds fast and nippy, but not much bass, Kans need a wall.

Feet tapping like a Naim dealer

3 Likes

Pfft, everyone knows streamers sound best :laughing:

I can stick my LP12 in, but as that cost me £1.5k, might defeat the object of the system a bit.

1 Like

Been wanting to try some Quad II amps again, after my last pair left me thinking meh, but people keep saying they are great. My last ones weren’t stock, but these are.

8 Likes

They look great :slight_smile: