Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Roof rack ?

And only £1 from your local supermarket…

5 Likes

Nicely level and snugly packed into the boot, still driving back:

Seller was great, a real enthusiast and very helpful. He already had the platter and arm boards bubble wrapped and boxed. Really good buying experience and via ebay!

14 Likes

I recall meeting AJ Conti at a CES in Chicago in about 1988 probably the first outing for Basis. He was a really nice knowledgeable guy. If I’m not mistaken he passed away fairly recently.

The bloke I bought it from mentioned that but I didn’t realise it was recent. I’m waiting for a reply on a 45rpm pulley from Basis, must be a relative as they’re called Jolanta Conti.

I have a feeling that one won’t be available which will mean I’ll obviously need a separate turntable for 45rpm!

October last year. Only 59. There are a few nice obituaries in the Absolute Sound.

1 Like

My brother-in-law has just upgraded to some Gershman Avantgardes (same as what myrman uses) so I have his PMC Twenty.24’s in my system for a bit until I get round to selling them.

Always liked them in my bro-in-laws much bigger room but initially in my room they were very dull and bland but that was maybe just my ears being used to the screechy Linn Kans.:roll_eyes:
An hour or so of tweaking positioning, and getting used to them, and they are now sounding very nice indeed, if still a bit safe.:+1:

2 Likes

He did well to find some Gershmans :smiley:

He had some assistance from yours truly.
I actually wanted them myself but they were a touch pricey for a skinflint like me.

1 Like

A excellent find Paul. :+1:

The Aesthetix Rhea Signature phonostage I have had on home demo for the last week will not be going back. Crazy good but only to be expected considering how good the standard model is.

@pmac should buy mine. He has enough turntables :wink:

He also has cunning plans so that he can run them all through the Vida without changing any leads over

:sunglasses:

5 Likes

Got my ARC 101 speakers back from a refurb, new tweeters and caps in the x/overs. Tweeters running in, getting better hour by hour. Running passive at the moment.

2 Likes

First proper speakers i owned

I have the 050 as well, very nice speakers. The 101’s arrived with dead tweeters and bollox’d x/over and wiring/connectors. So new wiring, new connectors for the x/over and cabinet as well as new tweeters and caps. The x/overs were rebuilt effectively.

They stand me just over £210 now, which is more than I wanted to pay, but it seemed a shame to scrap them.

Shame you are not closer, as you are welcome to borrow them. I have a couple of Nytech amps too, CA302 and CTA252XD.

I used an a&r a60 with them,i know quite a lot of users used Nytech

Trying the Nytech CA302.

I always found the A&R A60 a bit too soft, warm and cuddly for my taste.

You really should open the “Vintage British Hi-Fi” museum Bob.

You’d make a killing.

Nah, I just have memories of this stuff from my early interest in gear. I do like British 1980s integrated amps though.

My fav integrated amps of the time are (in no particular order); Naim Nait 1, Myst TMa3, Inca Tech Claymore (a really great amp), Nytech CA302/252, Sondex S230, Exposure X. I have them all here, except the Inca Tech which my youngest daughter nicked for her (my) Bose 901 Mk2.

Very different sound with Nytech though.

Trying out some new balanced cables with the Avantgard Solo’s.

Transparent Ultra XL, can’t afford Reference ones at the moment. They replace Townshend cryo ones.

Fools and their money :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes