Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

A lot of people seem to find the distraction of having too many buttons/options for chopping & changing tracks prevents them from being able to simply play whole albums vs physical media. Kinda like having a fidget monkey at the helm of Pro Tools when recording an album…LOL such is the case for too many recording engineers of mainstream music unfortunately.

Personally I don’t see why ones M.O. should change. A wide range of readily available choice with fast access seems great to me. I often get thematic in one way or another with my playlists & although I have fairly decent recall, I find that having a well indexed & tagged collection that I can quickly browse through helps me make connections that make sense…to me!!

Doing the same through my physical media is often a chore by comparison & far more distracting in terms of losing a train of thought or getting sidetracked.

For the price of a London pint, I couldn’t resist this at the car boot last week. Came from the house clearance of a well to do old lady. Complete with receipt, warranty cards, manuals (German & English), schematic diagram and the card overlay showing what the controls do. 2 track but mono. Think I’ll put some mono jazz recordings onto tape. Haven’t checked yet but wouldn’t be surprised to find that the valves inside were Telefunken.
Value for a fiver :smiley:

New photo by Guy and Gill Sergeant New photo by Guy and Gill Sergeant New photo by Guy and Gill Sergeant New photo by Guy and Gill Sergeant New photo by Guy and Gill Sergeant New photo by Guy and Gill Sergeant 7 new photos by Guy and Gill Sergeant

I don’t think it has ever been used.

11 Likes

They were £48 in 1963 equivalent to £950 today

My record player works.
Off the wall, by MJ graced it… charity shop find.

Everything seems to be warped. I say everything, I got that, somehting by Dexys MRs and BBC sport themes album that is scratched and useless. The rest were mouldy and rubbish!
Supermarket scavenge soon.

I did have to stick the rca leads in the right hole, though. I could hear music from the needle and was perplexed. Which idiot put all the plugs round the back where you can’t see anything, I don’t know!

You lot weren’t wrong about a RCM! Noisy!

Glad to hear that it all works. Always take a good look at the LP surface before buying secondhand!

It’s difficult to make accurate like for like comparisons on pricing with vintage electronics. Some things were initially very expensive & became relatively cheap with volume manufacturing, TV’s being an obvious example. But it’s a nicely made thing if not perhaps in the class of one of the Revox studio machines. I’ll bring it up gently tomorrow although I suspect that there may prove to be be some caps that need looking at.

Yeah. Was rushing and it’s all for charity.

There’s a knocking noise which I assume is the kink in the disc.

I’ll get there…

Cool, does it work?
I guess it’ll need some new belts / cogs lubing after all that time

No idea yet, I’ll try it tomorrow.

Is it 1/4" tape, Guy?

Yes, I do have some reels to try with it.

1 Like

I think a field recording of Stronzettos mating call would be an excellent first outing.

Would you not a need 10" reel for that?

Possibly but having been privy to his rehearsals I’ve been forced to make some ingenious ear defense systems - Sadly I can’t offer them for sale here as I am scum

2 Likes

It is hard to define the word, but it is basically used to describe someone so disgraceful that they are seen as the lowest form of life. “Worthlessness”, “waste of skin”, “dirt”. “Nothing”. Far worse than most other insults, where the victim is often just referred to as genetalia.

The fact that “scum” is a non-swear, and seen as perfectly acceptable English, makes it even more demeaning and offensive. If you are condemned as a “cunt” or a “fucktard”, then you are simply being attacked with cliché profanity, used spontaneously and with no particular venom or thought. “Scum”, however, is usually only used in exclusive conditions where it is the only word for the job, and makes the victim feel like the lowest of the low.

You are scum.

Absolute scum.

:star_struck:

3 Likes

source

Is that the new range from Haribo?

I have decided to pimp my Solo’s

The Shakti stones don’t fit on top, they slide off.

That is seriously sad.:open_mouth:

3 Likes

Could you not just put some bluetac under the Shaktis?