Suggestions for (integrated, "digital") amp

The Gato is still very good, but now I’ve discovered that this

http://www.simaudio.com/en/product/108-integrated-amplifier.html

exists

:thinking:

Ah, you better like it because that stuff is almost unfloggable second hand.

1 Like

You’re addressing the man who lost £3.5k on the last Moon amp that he sold.

I am painfully aware of how shit they do on the secondary market.

1 Like

Looked at that for my sister. She wants a one box solution so that ruled out the Gato and that SimAudio as she would need a renderer.

I have lots of that kinda stuff :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

btw, what the fuck is a ‘digital’ amp?

Don’t see the massive attraction - it’s just an ordinary enough integrated with a dac built in. How will it improve things over the Gato?

The Gato is probably the better amp and definitely looks and feels better to use but if you want to improve your main system then just buy a better dac - plenty of neat small high class offerings out there.
Or swap the Sonos for an Auralic Aries or Altair.

1 Like

I was trying to convey “with a good built-in DAC”.

Doesn’t the Modwright integrated offer a plug in DAC module?

1 Like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modwright-KWI200-with-DAC-eurovoltage/332025272859?hash=item4d4e3f9a1b:g:uk0AAOSwA3dYIH-j

Just do it. :star_struck:

Seller has some dodgy terms and conditions but has good feedback, Personally I’d look for one in the UK - maybe see if Jack (ciderpig) can help?

1 Like

we love our Unitiqute2

1 Like

I used to have one. Great bit of kit. Now discontinued and it’s replacement is horrible. She is muttering about a Devaliet now that they have sorted their streaming software out and made it Roon ready. I’m leaving her to it.

1 Like

I’m assuming it has the dac option fitted from the writing on the box.

If Naim had included a sleep timer we’d be using one in the bedroom. as well. I agree the replacement is horrible.

I recall the reaction from the Naim rep when I asked about a sleep timer on the new models…a bit like asking a Ferrari dealer to fit a tow hook on the back of a 488 Spider

Impressed with your Sister’s knowledge, thought it was just strange forum folk that like this stuff nowadays.

Should be some going cheap this time of year.

I think the Modwright DAC module uses the m2tech hiface so has issues with drivers on OSX

Pretty sure Dan has stopped selling the DAC modules now.

Find myself in the startling position of agreeing with Unclegrumple - the Gato is a seriously lovely bit of kit, and Moon . . .

. . . isn’t :poop:

Admit I’m biased, cos I’ve never heard any of their kit I’ve liked. Ever.

Notwithstanding, if you are considering buying new (and as a man who’s taken a big hit on kit that prolly wasn’t too well chosen previously), you really should consider doing the legwork and making some horrible dealerscum actually work for their living and traipse round some shops and hear some kit - gives you a chance to check things like UIs as well as SQ - and that matters with this schizzle, cos some are absolutely fucking shite to actually use…

My own personal fave for great sound at a great price would be the latest Exposure 3010 with the onboard DAC - both amp and DAC are great standalone items that happen to be designed to work together. The bargain of their bunch tho’ is the little XM5 integrated - certainly worth having on an audition list.

I don’t have a dog in this fight BTW - don’t flog anything remotely like this.

I sense a disturbance in the force.:alien:

I’d better suggest he get a Karan integrated and restore the equilibrium of the universe.:smiley:

1 Like

To be fair, you suggesting someone keep an amp sent me into a state of shock . . . :hushed:

5 Likes

And almost bang on double the budget :+1:

Outstanding AAing.