SUTs

Thanks, Guy.

I will switch the cartridges upstream to the SUT’s then :+1:

typo? :flushed:

Note the edit of the last sentence above. It may be ok. Try it.

Yes, typo. Should be aren’t

1 Like

Cheers, I will try it.

Just gottalot of woodworking to do first!!!

Funzie’s demands are relentless

You could probably get a friendly technically minded person (cough @coco cough) to add a switch to each input, so you could use it as you wanted. Or build a switching box to go in front of the SUT.

Thinking about this more last night I decided that each pair of inputs to the SFz must only be connected via the selector switch when that impedance is selected. If all 3 inputs were hung off the winding at once there’d be no need for a switch, you’d just connect your cartridge to the impedance you needed directly. If you could only switch between the taps, they wouldn’t have bothered fitting 3 sets of input terminals, just the one pair & had you switching between the sections of the primary you chose as indicated on the front. Giving 3 pairs of inputs and a selector switch must mean the unselected inputs are disconnected.

Pete and Guy will know this better than I, but at the very low impedances and very low signal levels on the primary side of a 1ohm SUT the switch itself might need to be a bit special. Contact resistance and/or contact potentials could be an issue, especially if the contact material is prone to oxidising with time.

Of course if Guy’s right that there already is a switch then Kondo will have solved that problem.

VB

There are some pics of the inside of what looks like an early SFz here http://www.astrasuite.com/astrablog/uh-kondo-m7-silver-sound-phono-stage-kondo-sfz/ (the four at the bottom of the gallery view). As far as I can tell each SUT has three winding connections (might even be separate windings given that the winding stack may well be interleaved), fed out on three twisted pairs - green (40ohm), orange (3ohm) and yellow (1ohm). These are connected directly to the input sockets. The front panel switch in this case seems just to be switching single-core wires connected to the phono socket outers, allowing the phono outer either to float (Balance) or to be grounded (Unbalanced for 1, 3 or 40).

VB

It’s only vinyl, not as if it’s high fidelity :wink:

5 Likes

Therefore, if I understand you correctly, I should be ok connecting to more than one set at a time?

1 Like

Don’t cross the streams!

I think you mean, “could you elaborate?”

Is this SUT an NVA job? You don’t want to run the risk of burning down all your new woodwork with senseless experimentation…

2 Likes

The switch does connect directly to the inputs, as you have said

Actual unit:

@coco how much is a silver Slagle in a box these days?

I guess about £2500 in a normal box, or £3500 if you wanted a fancy pants cast gunmetal case. Just done a couple of those.

Exchange rate isn’t helping. Blame tuffbob and the other brexitards.

9 Likes

Gunmetal case by @simonms

12 Likes

Nice, easily tucked away and out of sight :laughing:

Please tell me that’s a coffee table it’s sitting on and not a dining table

1 Like