Tales from the Ginnel

What a very satisfying job you have Bob.

2 Likes

Sinking sub’s?

3 Likes

Hard to define a board, but in terms of density it’s about 15% greater than equivalent Oak, ie quarter to quarter or plank to plank cuts.

1 Like

Started jointing the boards for the new hi-fi cabinet, crown cut oak in the main for the carcass.

1 Like

Do you rely on a good glue joint or use dowells or biscuits etc?

Just a good glue joint, using PU glue. Just square the edges off then, with a slightly convex blade on the No8, remove a sliver from down the center of each edge to ensure nice, tight, joints.

Polyurethane? Gorilla glue or similar?

Similar, just a lot better, particularly on the clean up and glue penetration (end grain is phenomenal).

Everbuild Lumberjack (i use the 30 min variety, 5 min also available).

1 Like

Ordered thanks :smiley:

Cheers Bob, I’ll try some.

Apologies, Stronzetto wants to know if this ‘packs a punch’

3 Likes

I rather think it does not unless you don’t pay for it at the till

1 Like

Tis not like the sticky resin of yore that Storonzetto will no doubt be fumiliar with.

1 Like

Hard and fast like a train.

3 Likes

Take it easy on the quantity used, it will gap fill but you shouldn’t have any gaps to start with. A thin smear it’s all you need, water damp one of the faces, a thin smear on the other (I use wooden spatulas) and always use clamping pressure to set the joint. Clean off using a sharp chisel, either at a low angle or as a scraper. Don’t get any on clothes, you have been warned :grinning:

2 Likes

All six of the vertical smaller panels finished, joints and faced off.

Just setting too on the two long panels with my mix and match of clamps.

5 Likes

One of the larger panels faced off now, swinging a ten pound jointer plane with 2.5 inch blade around for a couple of hours constitutes a half decent workout!

And the pile of shavings will head off to the smoker.

3 Likes

All the shaping done on this plinth, just the fine finishing to go.

Now sharpening planes once or twice a session so have moved to diamond stones for this maintenance sharpen, easy to do in the workshop in a couple of minutes. Makes a big difference to the finished surface on the timber. Can now use the smoothing plane to remove one or two thou thickness just where I need to. Will try and do a video of this at the weekend.

10 Likes

Lovely work.

Do you not use water stones?

Yea, but I found that using them in the workshop every few hours was a pain in the arse, water gets everywhere and/or covered in dust. I keep them for a weekly spruce up now, to re-set any errors I make when sharpening in the workshop.

1 Like