The Football

I’m not sure about that price, I read that it’s the press’s price not the club’s but you never know. Hard to see how he is going to get a game on the wing though, what with the new signings. Shame if he goes, a whole hearted player, if a little clumsy…

Now that the World Cup is over (for England) and the hysteria is dying down can one of you footballists please explain whose football was coming home? Or if that isn’t a proper question then what the fuck is that song about?

I get the Jules Rimet and 30 years of hurt stuff but the chorus is totally baffling :thinking:

Football has decided that it isn’t coming home, it is staying in Europe for a couple more years and getting a job as an au pair.

It’s a reference to the commonly held belief that Football was invented in England. It wasn’t, it was just codified here and as we ruled a great big chunk of the planet at the time, Association Football became the version most widely played.

Thank you, that makes sense, I always knew that Football was invented in England at Rugby School.
When my old headmaster referred to ‘Football’ he always meant Rugby Football, he always referred to the round ball game as ‘Association Football’ or ‘Soccer’ :grinning:

1 Like

Wow ! I knew they invented hand-egg, but now I learn they came up with football too.

VB

Same for me. The families of both my mother and father refer to “soccer” and “football”.

It really winds up some soccer fans.

FTFY

VB

Exactly.

Don’t worry Ritchie, Klopp’ll keep him under control !

6 Likes

That is why the oldest Rugby clubs have FC and not RFC after thier names.

Did a ‘Gentlemans Evening’ with Roger and Nookey Bear many years ago. Filthy and funny as fuck.

Sarri signs for Chelsea.

Out of 32 teams in the WC, only one had fewer chances in open play, than England.
Says it all.

1 Like

Kane & Sterling simply haven’t carried any threat in the last 3 games. We actually had a decent spell until Belgium broke for their second but Southgate does need to find a more dangerous front 2.

Given our initial expectations 4th is a good result although I doubt we’d have beaten the likes of Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina etc had we come up against them.

We really are bang average and only the luck of the draw got us any further than the second round. The hysteria about us getting to the semi’s was simply ludicrous…

At least we remain with a high ranking so will continue to get piss easy qualifying groups.

The situation ain’t going to change anytime soon so might as well stick with Southgate who at least does the media side of things much better than Fabio, Woy or Fat Sam.

1 Like

Looks like Everton are the team to beat this year:

The football under Capello, Hodgson and Allardyce (although 100% winning record, but lets focus on his efforts with Everton) was utter pish. Has your TV been cut off so you didn’t see this or have you suffered a traumatic brain injury that causes you to not remember it? :wink: Southgate has a strategy, plays football, and has done very well with limited resources. No point moaning about who they did or didn’t beat, it is a feckin’ tournament and they made the semis (unlike Brazil, Germany, Spain etc…)

5 Likes

Cenk Tosun, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse and Kevin Mirallas - all scored hat-tricks in the extraordinary match

Only one of whom should be a priority, that is Lookman. Niasse and particularly Mirallas can go, and Tosun has yet to convince that he can operate as a Premier League centre-forward.

If you can’t see the difference between how England play now &how they tried to play from 1996 onwards then there really is no hope for you. Of course it’ll take time & they’ve actually over achieved at this tournament. The key will be in whether a way can be found to bring through the good U17 & U20 players who’ve already been coached to play the same system with their respective national sides.

3 Likes